Colorado

Here is what I harvested today, still need to work at it tomorrow.
Wendy, what a beautiful harvest! I only grew a few things this year, but most did well. I am stewing tomatoes, making chile, and pickling jalapenos today. I also have a half dozen little eggplants I harvested yesterday, I need to figure out a way to preserve them, or else make some parmesan and then freeze it for later maybe. How do you store your squashes?

I am in the begining stages of my greenhouse project. I have the hill dug out 7 feet straight in and i dug for the foundation today. I am getting to old for this kind of thing. It is staked out with string. I hope to get the foundation framed out tomorrow.
On another really cool note. I got my first quail egg today. 8 weeks as of today. I really need to get the coop and the runs cleaned out but this greenhouse project is taking most of my time. I hope to build a winter coop that would be attached to the greenhouse when its done. Time will tell. Its time to get a shower and some sleep. Morning time is going to come all too early.
The coop atBigR is pretty nice. Comgrats!!
Building a greenhouse? Wow! Bob has been wanting to do that for years, maybe when you're taking a break you can share plans and/or pics?

Glad you posted, I've been wondering how you and your birds were doing - did all recover?

Neat on how fast the quail started laying! That's amazing!

I am in the begining stages of my greenhouse project. I have the hill dug out 7 feet straight in and i dug for the foundation today. I am getting to old for this kind of thing. It is staked out with string. I hope to get the foundation framed out tomorrow.
On another really cool note. I got my first quail egg today. 8 weeks as of today. I really need to get the coop and the runs cleaned out but this greenhouse project is taking most of my time. I hope to build a winter coop that would be attached to the greenhouse when its done. Time will tell. Its time to get a shower and some sleep. Morning time is going to come all too early.
The coop atBigR is pretty nice. Comgrats!!

I'm about to reconstruct our greenhouse (it's falling apart). Did you berm your greenhouse? If so I'd love to see what you've done so far..I'm attaching mine to a lean-to we're building for the sheep. It's on a slope so I was thinking of digging out the high side to level the greenhouse floor. I was thinking it might add some thermal gain? I'm also going to incorporate my chicken/duck coop on one end so they can have the greenhouse space in the winter time.

Hi all,
I am going to host 2 Doterra oil classes on Oct. 11 and 12. The classes are called Medicine Cabinet Makeover and Pain Relief, both are free.
If this is something you want to learn about, pm me for my address and times. Wendy

Here is a pic of what the progress looks like on the greenhouse as of Thursday. The forms for the foundation did not get put in today but it did get more defined today.

This pic is actually from last weekend. But you can definately see what i am trying to do. It will face southwest and catch the winter sun pretty well. I will take an updated picture tomorrow when i get home from work.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I haven't been around in a while and I finally had a few minutes to stop in.

It has been interesting and very busy over here. The short list; I went to some training with the Army, DH has a new job, my older DS is potty training and the younger is starting to teeth. I am now helping to run DH's business while he works; hopefully it will grow enough that it can become his full time job someday.

We also had several Urgent Care/ER trips and doctor visits. Turns out both my boys are allergic to milk. We knew Toby (older) was allergic but hadn't realized that his daycare hadn't informed his primary caregiver that he was so he kept getting cheese and milk to eat. The people I picked him up from and dropped him off with both knew but no one realized that the main teacher hadn't been told after she got back from vacation. And the little one, Logan, has at least twice as bad a reaction as his brother (poor guy had blood in his diapers) which we found out after he was on formula for a weekend. He had had a bottle here and there over the last few months and we didn't notice any issues so we thought he had avoided the intolerance/allergy.

On a lighter note; I found a new home for Christmas, the Delaware rooster. He should be in his new home on Friday. I got too attached to the little guy; there was no way I was going to be able to eat him if he stayed past his legally allowed timeline (Christmas was his deadline, literally). A family from my church moved out into a rural neighborhood and inherited a smallish flock (the prior owner just left them). The family had no clue what to do with them at first but have since gone head first into the chicken obsession.

Anycase, I am going to try and catch up on some of the thread, I've been gone too long.

Just got approval for my first green house! It may be a cheep harbor freight but I am happy. Not looking forward to laying the concrete though, no one happens to know someone who will do it for cheep???

Back
Top Bottom