Colorado

Welcome Reinette! wsmith has the chicken utopia plans and my poor chickens are in a tree coop that we made out of trees cut off of the property, but it has withstood 150++++ winds. So really, it will work, what ever you get. You could also have a "chicken coop raising party" if you want to build one and I bet people would show up and work for burgers/ food/ beer/ soda or the like.

does anyone know of any breeders of Orpingtons, Marans, Welsummers, or easter eggers in Colorado? i am looking to add to my flock in spring and would much prefer getting chicks from a good breeder rather than a hatchery. thanks

Thanks for the welcome and thoughts on coops.

Besides deciding on a coop, my biggest hurdle is figuring out where to put it. I might be making this a bigger deal than I need too but that's kinda how I am, I like to have everything figured out first lol :) I'm lucky enough to have some options. I'm on a 1/2 acre + lot with mature plantings and lots of trees. My options are on the East side of our house (it would protect the birds from these crazy winds, but would that attract critters like mice to the house?), attached to the greenhouse/workshop or anywhere really in the rest of the yard. I have about a 30'x100' weed patch at the back of the yard that abuts a paddock. It would be great use of the space but I'm really concerned about predators, as its closer to where they roam and the view back there is obstructed from the house. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Also I was wondering about acquiring particular breeds of chickens. I would really like salmon faverolles, mottled houdans, and maybe a buff laced polish or two. I know I can get them from a hatchery, but does anyone know of any available locally - Denver metro area?

So many decisions to make! But I know once they're made, I'll be a very happy Chicken-keeper
wee.gif

Last edited:

Besides deciding on a coop, my biggest hurdle is figuring out where to put it. I might be making this a bigger deal than I need too but that's kinda how I am, I like to have everything figured out first lol :)  I'm lucky enough to have some options. I'm on a 1/2 acre + lot with mature plantings and lots of trees. My options are on the East side of our house (it would protect the birds from these crazy winds, but would that attract critters like mice to the house?), attached to the greenhouse/workshop or anywhere really in the rest of the yard. I have about a 30'x100' weed patch at the back of the yard that abuts a paddock. It would be great use of the space but I'm really concerned about predators, as its closer to where they roam and the view back there is obstructed from the house. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Also I was wondering about acquiring particular breeds of chickens. I would really like salmon faverolles, mottled houdans, and maybe a buff laced polish or two. I know I can get them from a hatchery, but does anyone know of any available locally - Denver metro area?

So many decisions to make! But I know once they're made, I'll be a very happy Chicken-keeper :weee  

Protection from the wind is a big consideration. Protected from the wind they will be warmer, especially if it can get good sunshine during the winter. I would recommend breeds that have rose or pea combs, and avoid the breeds with large single combs. Of course, I am a fan of Dominiques. To see what they look like, you can visit my flock FB page, Windy Ridge Dominiques

Last edited:

Besides deciding on a coop, my biggest hurdle is figuring out where to put it. I might be making this a bigger deal than I need too but that's kinda how I am, I like to have everything figured out first lol :) I'm lucky enough to have some options. I'm on a 1/2 acre + lot with mature plantings and lots of trees. My options are on the East side of our house (it would protect the birds from these crazy winds, but would that attract critters like mice to the house?), attached to the greenhouse/workshop or anywhere really in the rest of the yard. I have about a 30'x100' weed patch at the back of the yard that abuts a paddock. It would be great use of the space but I'm really concerned about predators, as its closer to where they roam and the view back there is obstructed from the house. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Also I was wondering about acquiring particular breeds of chickens. I would really like salmon faverolles, mottled houdans, and maybe a buff laced polish or two. I know I can get them from a hatchery, but does anyone know of any available locally - Denver metro area?

So many decisions to make! But I know once they're made, I'll be a very happy Chicken-keeper
wee.gif

I agree that wind is a big consideration but if you have another way of wind proofing their area (we put plastic around their enclosed run) then that isn't as big of an issue. Think about where they will roam if they are allowed to free range. What access will they have around their coop?
Predators of course are an issue but if you are vigilant about putting them up at sunset and have a predator proof coop, you've knocked out a lot of predators. If you have foxes in your area then your chickens will be at risk no matter where they are if they are ever allowed to free range.

We have polish (hatchery) and they do fine. We will have a gold laced for sale at the Denver Urban Homestead chicken swap in March (although I can sell her early if needed). I don't know any local breeders for those breeds. You really have to ask yourself what you want the chickens for... lots of eggs? entertainment? friendly pets? Some, like the polish, are very entertaining but not known to be great layers (you can get a good layer but you never know what you'll get). Some breeds are known for being super friendly (our polish are the most skittish). Some are great layers.

Lots to think about but this is a great place to ask questions!

We got our first 4 polish at Kiowa Country Corner. Elizabeth Country Corner (same owners) had them also but they were "on hold" before we even knew they had them coming. All 4 of those died (in 2 different households). We then ordered 18 from Meyer hatchery. We lost 6 of those, got 6 replacements, lost 4 of those. I know of at least one from the original group that made it to 6 months then died for no apparent reason. We have one from the original batch left (we sold the rest, friends of ours have 4 of them) and one from the last replacement batch. They seemed much more fragile than any of the other chicks we raised and have heard the same from others. I won't do polish again but others have had no problem with them. I do love our polish girls though!

We will be hatching some EEs and LF cochins in about a month. Then we'll be hatching some bantam cochins and silkies after that if you are interested.
The Denver swap (first saturdays of the month) are a great place to get local birds. Beware of the guy that has 10+ cages, his birds have looked bad more than once to me (unresponsive, laying in the cage, plucked bald, etc) and he said they were fine.
The rest of the people there I have found very informative and helpful. Only one other person have I seen telling people they are buying pullets that were obviously cockerels! I luckily noticed and set them straight.

Last edited:
It looks like you have gotten good advice already. The breeds you choose should always be pleasing to the eye, but also serve whatever purpose you have in mind. I agree with your preference for buying locally - you know the parents have survived in our climate and at our elevation, which is more important than one might think. I have heard from several folks they had no or little luck with Polish. One thing to keep in mind with any crested breed is that they really should not be allowed to free range unsupervised, mainly because the crest limits their vision and they may not see a predator approaching in time to run away. We have Silkies and they are allowed to free range, but only when we are here and keeping an eye on them. If your chickens will be in a protected run most of the time, you will be fine with crested breeds. Mottled Houdans have always struck my fancy, and they need some folks to champion them, whether as a backyard keeper or as a serious breeder. Breeders must have people who want them just for their backyard laying flocks to continue producing enough offspring to have a good selection of potential future breeding birds. I don't know of anyone in CO breeding them, but it never hurts to put out a query on the Buy-Sell-Trade section. There is a man out on the Mesa (East of Pueblo) who had some Polish last year that attended the swaps in Pueblo, when they start back up I'll have to look for him.

As far as locating your coop, ideally it should be where you can see your birds when they are out in the run, and if possible, close to your water source, since it is the heaviest thing you will be regularly carrying to and from their enclosure. As previously suggested you can block wind with plastic or other items - a row of trees, pegboard or plywood, bales of straw or hay, privacy fencing, etc. When we set up our first coop we wanted it to be where the cats could watch the chickens for entertainment (indoor only cats). If possible leave yourself an out - a way to get it moved if you decide there is a better location after it is set up.

Be prepared for learning you really love only one of the breeds you have selected, or that you don't like any of them, and decide to sell and start again. It happens. Some people like a variety of personalities and appearances, some prefer specific things - great egg layers are often more easily startled (and predator aware) than dual purpose and meat birds. Pullet can act really nuts right before they start to lay, then turn into marshmallows once they have been laying a few weeks. Hens that have never looked cross-eyed at you can be surprisingly protective of nests if they go broody.

All of life is learning. Chicken keeping often teaches us more about ourselves than we expected. We sometimes learn we are more or less brave than we thought, more or less able to take action that is difficult, but we always learn. Mostly we learn sitting in the yard or on the porch with a beverage and a camera just watching chickens is the best therapy and entertainment money can buy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom