Colorado

Mostly we learn sitting in the yard or on the porch with a beverage and a camera just watching chickens is the best therapy and entertainment money can buy.

So true! My daughter calls it chicken TV.

Now that I think of it there are at least 2 people that have polish at the denver swap. One is that guy I warned you of, but I remember someone else having them too. Always white crested black though.

Hello Coloradans,

I'm in Pueblo and looking for a dozen pure Maran hatching eggs from good lines. I've been actively looking locally since fall, and haven't had any luck. I'd prefer not to buy shipped eggs from somewhere else or order chicks from a hatchery. If anybody could point me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative.

Eggs are in the bator. Fingers crossed!:fl

Last edited:
@Reinette - The Golden Mill will be getting chicks pretty soon, they also take custom orders so you could give them a call. They are the NICEST folk, very helpful and the know a boat load about chicks and chickens, plus it's not too far from you. Check out their custom coop - not very big but really cute.

Hello Coloradans,

I'm in Pueblo and looking for a dozen pure Maran hatching eggs from good lines. I've been actively looking locally since fall, and haven't had any luck. I'd prefer not to buy shipped eggs from somewhere else or order chicks from a hatchery. If anybody could point me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative.

See post #18124

Hi fellow Colorado BYC! I am a newbie. I'll be stalking this thread and others until I get the hang of things. I have a coop and brooder all set and ready for chicks. I want to start off my flock with RIR and Buffs. What are your thoughts about buying from local feed stores? I'd like to mail order but I only want to start with approx. 20. Any advice or direction is more than welcome :)
frow.gif

Thanks in advance!

Hello and Welcome. I think buying from your local feed store, Big R or ordered from a hatchery on line is the smart thing to do if you are just starting out and all you want is fresh eggs. There is nothing wrong with these chickens, unless you are going to show, or need to own show quality stock or just have to follow the SOP (Standard Of Perfection), they will work out great for you.

Another up side is you will not have to rehome any roosters, they are usually all pullets!!! If you do order directly from the hatchery, and only want 20 chicks, but you have to order 25, you can always sell those you don't want to keep, and usually make a few bucks on them or break even, or wait until later in the year, most hatcheries will drop their minimum to 15 chicks once the weather gets warmer.

Watch out for chicken math, it does seem to sneak up on you ........:D

Back
Top Bottom