Colorado

GOT MUD?

Hola here is how our run looked yesterday am, just a lovely mud pit! I am sure others are experiencing the same thing. We still need to finish completely covering the roof area. Oh well, lucky chickens got to free range all day yesterday with the hopes their run would dry out.

Anyone know where I can get stacks and stacks of newspaper? I need a lot, preferably still folded fairly neatly. I'm trying to smother the weeds in my new garden.

Last edited:
If uou are just trying to kill the weeds then a clear plastic spredbon the ground a couple weeks prior to putting the garden in will get ridbof the weeds. It will actually cook the weeds. If this is something for the bottom of the raised bed then cardboard will work wonders.

I'm trying to do a couple of things. Smother weeds, and renew the soil. I need something that'll add to the soil, which the newspaper, cardboard and what not will do. It's a big area though, so I need quite a bit.

Thought I would post this up for all you garden lovers. First pick of tomatoes this season, we have some Galina Cherry and Black Krimm in this pic.

Last edited:
COChix, we're starting to get some too. I picked my first Listada de Gandia eggplant yesterday! We made tomato and basil chicken yesterday from the garden. Mmmmm, it's summer.

On a more sour note, my fatty, greedy hen broke into the garden, the first jailbreak this year. With 35 tomato plants laden with tomatoes, peppers, corn, squash, and tons of grasshoppers...she had to go for the biggest heirloom tomato in the garden, what would have been a 2 lbs. beauty.

I'm trying to do a couple of things. Smother weeds, and renew the soil. I need something that'll add to the soil, which the newspaper, cardboard and what not will do. It's a big area though, so I need quite a bit.

You could raid a newspaper recycling bin. I used to take my household paper, and would snag clean bundles that were still baled. Lots of schools get them for free, bundles of them, and sometimes they don't even cut the bundles open so they're very clean.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom