Colorado

It's a hot one here in north Boulder, our temp gauge hit 103 earlier, yikes! Here is an update, we have two RR roo's for our all pullet pack. Not sure what we will do at this point. Everyone is getting along and one of the RR roo's has good instincts, he roosts at the front of the coop, perched in front of the window. He is there every night, so we will let this play out a bit and then make decisions. Also we have Cornish and a Barnvelder, been doing some research and scouring pics. Here are some shots

Barnevelder Hen

Isis - EE

Dark Cornish

I was just contacted by a friend who has some POL pullets for sale. She has 2 americanas and 2 Delaware who were hatched April 1st. I raised them for her until a month ago and she just learned she needs to get rid of her flock (personal reasons). I got them from Meyer hatchery, they are very well mannered birds. She has a Delaware rooster too, from the same hatch if you would like a trio. He is quiet the gentleman, his name is Russel Crowe.
I am taking some of the pullets I raised for her back so I need to rethink my whole flock for the fall and next year.
If you (or anyone) are interested in some 1 1/2 year old wellsummers or a speckled sussex let me know. I am also thinking of getting rid of my Mottled d'uccle rooster. He is a perfect gentleman to the point of not getting the job done, if you know what I mean.
So, I would let him go to a home who just wanted some eye candy.
Anyone can pm me if they want more info.
good luck
mo

Just wanted to post this for everyone, I thought it was cute.

Cute!
We've seen some baby bunnies running under our tack room (which is attached to the coop) a couple times. Our bunny that lives with the chickens now wants to be a wild bunny and has been sneaking out of the run every chance she gets.

I know I keep asking but it has been two month since my SLW has laid an egg, since the day the new girls arrived. I am sure there are plenty of you out there who would cull your girls if they went this long with out an egg. She still attacks the little ones and gets really stressed when they are around even though they are around for most of the day. I was considering squirting her with a water gun every time she pecks at the little ones???

Okay maybe not plenty, just have no clue how to make her less stressed. I don't want her dropping dead from it.
hu.gif

Last edited:
I absolutely would cull her. Every time you add chicks, you have to stand guard with a squirt gun? It's stressful for every chicken in her area, not just for her. You're lucky more of them haven't stopped laying, just dealing with her. It is odd that she still hasn't layed.

I absolutely would cull her. Every time you add chicks, you have to stand guard with a squirt gun? It's stressful for every chicken in her area, not just for her. You're lucky more of them haven't stopped laying, just dealing with her. It is odd that she still hasn't layed.

The other two were stressed the first few days but then they just accepted them, this one I don't know but that much stress has to be hurting her. This is the first time I have added chicks. I just worry after two months of no eggs.

IMHO, her instability and inability to come to grips with the new additions must be creating a very unbalanced situation for the whole crew. It's not just about her and the chicks anymore. I have to agree with Ashdoes: cull her. That's what I would personally do. As the commercial used to say... "Is it soup yet?"

Back
Top Bottom