Colorado

I got my first ayam cemani egg this morning.

I'm about to put more water in the incubator and do eggtopsies today :(
3 peeps hatched from my eggs though

Congrats DK! Do you know what kind of chicks you hatched? Are you please with the breeds that hatched?
I am hoping, hoping, hoping, for at least 2 naked necks and I would be thrilled to get an EE or OE from PC eggs!

Picture of my 3 chicks
and I am really loving this brinsea brooder heater plate vs the red heat lamp by a long shot! The chicks are much more active and no pasty butt! They explore a lot, they would explore the whole room if I let them.

Hopefully tomorrow we can build them something better.

When we switched from the red light of doom, to the Brinsea brooder light, I was very surprised how much the chicks changed. All of a sudden they were super active and not loud all day long. Plus, the electricity bill was awesome, and I'm one of those people that is always trying to lower bills. Plus, I never worry about the barn burning down.
My brooder is a plywood version of this, we stained it so it's s cleanable. I have four pieces, makes a huge square and we move it all over. Sometimes we use it in the garage, and lately we set it up in the chick stall of the barn. If I brooded more chicks, I'd just make more panels. I can't imagine the cardboard lasts very long.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...aby-Chick-Brooder-Panels-Set-of-10-p1063.aspx

Has anyone here gone through NPIP certification? Was it expensive & did it take a long time?

It is super easy to get NPIP, and I'm pretty sure it's like $25. We had CSU come out to do the Salmonella testing, and they are very efficient and know how to quickly grab and test the birds. I tried to get you the website info, but can't find it. I'm sure someone else will pop in here with it though.

Last edited:
Picture of my 3 chicks
and I am really loving this brinsea brooder heater plate vs the red heat lamp by a long shot! The chicks are much more active and no pasty butt! They explore a lot, they would explore the whole room if I let them.

Hopefully tomorrow we can build them something better.
Congrats!!!

I now have like 10 doz eggs sitting in my kitchen waiting for buyers
hmm.png
I went ahead and bought a sign for the front fence:

Hope it generates some sales... I will only have it out there on weekends when I'm home, not full time.
Let us know if your sign works!

Has anyone here gone through NPIP certification? Was it expensive & did it take a long time?
Is not super expensive, you just have to wait for them to be in your area.

Hello everyone!!!!
We are moving back to Colorado. So I'll be hanging out with you here
smile.png

Can't wait
big_smile.png
Welcome!!!

I got my first ayam cemani egg this morning.

I'm about to put more water in the incubator and do eggtopsies today
sad.png

3 peeps hatched from my eggs though
Yuck on the eggtopsies.....

Let us know if your sign works!
It does
celebrate.gif
Hope y'all are enjoying the continued good weather, though a bit breezy... While at the gate collecting money from my neighbor for eggs, I got a call from a gent who saw my sign and wanted to know if the eggs were fertile and could be hatched. I said yes, they are. He stopped by and asked to see the birds. I took him out to the coops.

He asked how much for the eggs and I quoted $2 per egg or $24 per dozen. He then asked how many eggs I had available, I countered with how many do you want. He answered a couple hundred!! We eventually settled on .50 per egg, and he bought 100 just now and asked me to take down my sign for the next couple of weeks and he'll buy all I have till we get to around 280-300 eggs! I actually sold him 100 eggs plus a free dozen for $50.00 and I'll call him as soon as I get to another 100, or next Saturday, whichever comes first :) Also sold 18 to the neighbor and have another 18 to take to a guy @ work tomorrow, and I am basically OUT of eggs now! :) Before he left I asked him to please return the egg cartons as I will need them to get him his next eggs, he said he had several dozen more and would bring them all back :) A great start to the day
smiley.png

Oh, he just stopped back by w/his wife as she wanted to see the chickens. He returned all the egg cartons and an additional 6 black plastic flats.
big_smile.png

I didn't ask him, but I'm guessing he must be going to hatch them and then sell them as day olds or maybe grow them for a while and sell them as young birds. Either way, he should make a profit.

Super nice day out today.
I spent some of the day working on my brooder box.
I want one that will last for a very long time this time so I made one out of plywood, 2x4's and 2x2's. It is 8 feet long and 2.5 feet wide. Now all I need to do is add the wire and perhaps paint it.
I built it so the base frame will fit inside the box area for storage when I don't have any littles.

CoChix,
I am hoping you are resting and healing well.

DK,
Bummed along with you about the ones not hatching but also happy some did.

Latestarter,
Super glad your sign is working. I am also glad it worked well enough to sell so many eggs.

Maggiemo,
How's them eggs doin? I am excited along with you that they are developing.

ftpagain,
A huge welcome to you from here in Loveland.

Back
Top Bottom