Colorado

Toki has taken to watching them run around, jump & flap their wings like I watch reruns of The X-Files. So far, neither he nor Arya have tried to break into the box but I have had to bust out the Angry Mom voice on Arya for charging at the box when the chicks make sudden movements. I'm glad the dogs were trained as much as they were before the universe decided I needed to get into chickens. Makes things easier.

It looks like the chicks' wings might end up looking like the rooster's wings. Can't tell yet if the rest of them will be silver laced, though, nor if they will get any type of crest.

Last edited:
I got pics of our two week old chicks last night...
My fav, red Swedish

One of the two black Swedish...

One of the Cochin Cream mixes

The frizzle Swedish mistake and a couple others

Hi everyone! Looks like hatching fever is catching on here. :) Its been a while but I am back in the Springs. Hopefully I will be able to get back into chickens again soon. I am in am apartment right now so no Chickies for me. I am debating what breed to go with when I do restart. I am leaning towards bantam Brahmas and bantam cochins. They are just too cute.

Welcome back CIB, you can't go wrong with Bantam Cochins, but I am biased!! lol

Those are soooooo cute, AD, and Uz!!!!!! Good dogs!!

Well, started out nice here, then the wind picked up..... YUCK. Got some of my outside stuff done early on.

Yep, potato salad is yummy with fresh eggs!!!

LOL LS yes I do put a lot of eggs in my potato salad. I also add bacon. I did it once just because I had leftover bacon from breakfast and now the family wont eat it without the bacon.

Twas yummy!

Super cute chicks Uzi and Ash. Even if the frizzle was an oops it sure is a cute little thing. Uzi I think there may be small crests on them little ones.

CIB,
I have a couple bantam cochins and they are adorable. Love the silly way they run across the yard. Super friendly too.

Went out today to a friends place to talk BEEF lol. He has some of the cutest little babies this year. Of course the one that does not like people yet came right up to me to get petted.
cool.png
Always got along better with critters than people anyway. I may buy some come butcher time.

DH bought the chicken at the store that I fried last night. I was saddened to find many broken bones and bruising on the carcass. I think that has made up my mind to raise meat birds next year. I will at least know they did not get banged around and injured before or during processing.
My flowers are all getting the grow on. Tulips are about 8 inches tall already, lilacs are leafing out and the flowering pear trees have huge buds on them.
Happy spring everyone.

So, we've had chickens for three years now, and never had any lice or crud like that. Turn to this year, freaking pigeons are going in the barn for the last two months, and I knew it was going to cause problems. My chickens have lice and I think mites. !!! So we seven dusted all of them, really well, they hated it. Tomorrow I'll pick up more, and cover the barn really well. This is the thing I hate, chemicals. I almost cried when I had to treat them for the tapeworms with equine wormer and now this poison. Hopefully I won't have to use it again. Maybe I can find a more natural treatment? Anyone know any, and not DE?

Last edited:
I get natural wood ash from a neighbor. He has a fireplace so it is a win win for us both. I sift it to get the big chunks out and mix it with pete moss for the dust bathing area.
My gals suffered through a mite infestation last year. The only ones that got them were the ones being broody and not dusting. I had to treat them with seven dust too. It was also isolated to the external nest boxes.
I have a lot of wild birds coming to the yard because of a lake close by so I worry about stuff they could bring in.

When I treated mine I took a rubermaid tote and mixed the seven with DE and wood ash then I set the chicken in the tub and went about rubbing it in really well. Still a messy and unwelcome process but worked for us. I sprayed the nest boxes with straight vinegar to get in the cracks and did not see another mite.

My broody should be on lockdown, Chicks maybe on Wed. with a snow storm coming in. If she were a mammal, I would bet money on it! I guess we will see what happens. She has been nicer this time around so maybe she will not attack from 10 feet away and only go off at 5 ft.

Back
Top Bottom