Colorado

Everyone's chicks are getting so big! I can't believe how much my 2 tiny fluffs have changed in just a week. They have tiny tail feathers! So far, they aren't growing very much in body mass, but their wings are getting pretty serious. It also looks like their colouring is going to follow the rooster's. Same with the all around look of them (I'm not seeing anything "Polish" about them so far). And here I was worried about the rooster being infertile! His genes/traits are strong.

I also candled the Phoenix eggs early & got a shock. 6 of the 7 had development. I was expecting maybe 2 at the most from the way everyone talks about shipped eggs. Fingers crossed for the next 2 weeks that some of them hatch. I am gonna have to get to work of some tractors & coops this weekend.

One of my two week olds is doing an odd thing, wondering if anyone has an idea. He opens his mouth, and stretches his neck, almost like he's gasping, but not. He seems fine, eating and drinking with no issues. Still, my daughter is concerned, and won't stop asking what's wrong with him.

I have had adult birds do that, not chicks. When I have had birds do that they had something stuck in their crops and I put a drizzle of olive oil in their mouths and massaged and it went away after an hour or so.
I don't know anything about 2 week old chicks though.
idunno.gif

I have had adult birds do that, not chicks. When I have had birds do that they had something stuck in their crops and I put a drizzle of olive oil in their mouths and massaged and it went away after an hour or so. 
I don't know anything about 2 week old chicks though. :idunno

I was actually thinking it looked like he needed to swallow something. But he's still eating just fine too. I'll keep an eye on him, maybe open his beak and have a peak in there.

Hello to all. So I'm not from Colorado but im your neighbor in Utah. My name is Lisa and I've seen here that there are some folks that have the "the grandma" chicken. I've been looking for them everywhere online and locally with no results. Could someone PLEASE give me some info and possibly where I could get chicks or eggs. Thank you in advance for Any info

Hello to all. So I'm not from Colorado but im your neighbor in Utah. My name is Lisa and I've seen here that there are some folks that have the "the grandma" chicken. I've been looking for them everywhere online and locally with no results. Could someone PLEASE give me some info and possibly where I could get chicks or eggs. Thank you in advance for Any info

I'm not sure what kind of chicken you're looking for, but on this thread the name is more of a joke. Someone's son named one of their chickens "grandma" and it turned out that another member bought the same kind of chick so now they're both called grandma chickens when being compared.

(this one is Frost)

(this one is Mercury)

A week old! They aren't getting much bigger but they are developing fast. I'm going to have to get some hardware cloth this weekend before they figure out how to fly out of the air holes they have now!

Back
Top Bottom