Colorado

Greetings fellow fowl mouthed Colorado members! Jacob and his pot bellied pig, Chutney, here. Recently brought home 2 Polish (no names....yet), and a Sussex, Cesar, to live with us and keep the whole 'urban farm' wheel a rollin! Super excited and love all the awesome info and OOL (oink out loud
1f437.png
) comments we've read so far! Keep em' coming!
welcome-byc.gif
Jacob ++ and this thread. I bet your pig is very entertaining!

@jmalocha1 Welcome to the Colorado thread! How is your pig getting along with the chicks?

@Ashdoes I completely agree about getting chicks out of the house. I like having them inside but once they start escaping the box I want them out. Really cuts down on the dust too.

@Percheron chick Eggs in the bator... YEAH! I wish you a good hatch. It was hard to wait 21 days for the chicken eggs; I bet it's almost torture waiting for goose eggs.

Integration of the chicks is going really well. They have gotten a few curiosity pecks to the head but nothing really hard and no chasing. Malcolm has been amazing with them. Ducks move away from them. They can get out and about with the big birds in the run but don't seem to be interested in going out in the yard yet. They still have their space to go to where none of the big birds can fit. I read about how much better it is to use the heating pad method and brooding in the coop early but I'm surprised at how easy it has been. Hope I'm not jinxing myself.

@jmalocha1
Welcome to the Colorado thread! How is your pig getting along with the chicks?

@Ashdoes
I completely agree about getting chicks out of the house. I like having them inside but once they start escaping the box I want them out. Really cuts down on the dust too.

@Percheron chick
Eggs in the bator... YEAH! I wish you a good hatch. It was hard to wait 21 days for the chicken eggs; I bet it's almost torture waiting for goose eggs.

Integration of the chicks is going really well. They have gotten a few curiosity pecks to the head but nothing really hard and no chasing. Malcolm has been amazing with them. Ducks move away from them. They can get out and about with the big birds in the run but don't seem to be interested in going out in the yard yet. They still have their space to go to where none of the big birds can fit. I read about how much better it is to use the heating pad method and brooding in the coop early but I'm surprised at how easy it has been. Hope I'm not jinxing myself.
Just got my chicks and 2 ducklings out yesterday. I am so happy to see them in the pens.And the blessed quiet, although you can hear them if you're in the bathroom!

Just got my chicks and 2 ducklings out yesterday. I am so happy to see them in the pens.And the blessed quiet, although you can hear them if you're in the bathroom!

Lol! Yes, it's the noise that really makes you crazy. I love hearing it while I'm in the house, and they are outside..but that high chick chirp being inside the house, is awful.

When I first asked HOH they were??? After asking around they finally said it's fine that they just needed to be washed. I normally do not so I just wash the donated ones. They also take duck eggs and homegrown veggies so maybe they are a little more lax them others. You should also have a church kitchen or two who feed the homeless, meals on wheels (if the Donald... wait, no don't go there..) who would appreciate the donation. I can ask tomorrow.

Easier to donate than thin the flock.
Yep, better now touch that subject. However, I am building my flock and looking at some heritage pigs so at minimum I will be able to feed myself and my daughter. We are both disabled and live in constant fear re: the future of disability insurance payments. I paid in for 40 years and what I receive is based on my work. I should not have one moment of worry. I live on so little that I QUALIFY for the local food bank!

We've experience a chicken back scratch, but no beak to snout interactions quite yet. Chutney is a real scardie Pig, but don't want to risk hurting one of the girls with an overly sloppy welcome ;)

Last edited:
@jmalocha1
Welcome to the Colorado thread! How is your pig getting along with the chicks?

@Ashdoes
I completely agree about getting chicks out of the house. I like having them inside but once they start escaping the box I want them out. Really cuts down on the dust too.

@Percheron chick
Eggs in the bator... YEAH! I wish you a good hatch. It was hard to wait 21 days for the chicken eggs; I bet it's almost torture waiting for goose eggs.

We're taking it easy on introducing Chutney to the girls. Only child for three years, no need for sibling rivalry :)

We've experience a chicken back scratch, but no beak to snout interactions quite yet. Chutney is a real scardie Pig, but don't want to risk hurting one of the girls with an overly sloppy welcome ;)
LOL! Not that's a picture to love! I'm not sure who's having more fun, the pig or the mountain climbing chicks! Did you make sure they have a qualified sherpa along?

Back
Top Bottom