Colorado

Hola, haven't posted for a bit. We still have these dudes and are looking for a home. Anyone interested in these georgous boys both Easter Egger, one-year-old roosters, please PM me. DID I SAY FREE?! Both from @Percheron chick farm flock.

@Jsat I have moved mine out, but I did lose one when it got down in the single digits at night a week or two ago :( and then a respiratory infection hit my flock (I think due to stress from the weather), they are all recovered. So yes, they can survive, but it can be stressful. I have now been leaving a heat lamp on at night any night it will be below freezing until they are bigger. I think depending on how many you have and your setup you could be fine... what I'm saying is if you have a lot of chickens, more will generate more heat and keep the coop warmer at night, I only have a few and I don't think it was enough. I set up the light in such a way that they can be on the ground below, or on a perch closer to it or on a perch or the ground totally away from the heat so they have options depending how hot or cold it is. Some nights before bed I check on them and they are huddled together as close to the heat as possible and other nights they are all still milling about eating and drinking and don't care about the heat.

I finally got my coop and hens together!Any and all advice is welcome. I got 4 hens, I live in North Arvada,CO.
1 Blue Wyandotte
1 Rhode Island Red
& 2 Black Jersey Giants
*I'll post pics tomorrow

I got 3/6 chicks to hatch, which is a pretty average hatch rate for me. Looks like Memnoch is the father for all three this time.

This was the first chick to hatch - definitely a Mercury x Memnoch offspring.

This was the second chick to hatch - at first, I thought this might be a Ronan x Epiphany offspring, but it definitely has started to look more like an Ava'Dara x Memnoch from the colouring.

And this was the last to hatch and the tiniest thing I've ever seen! A Sparta x Memnoch offspring.

They are just now starting to do that running around and jumping thing, trying to figure out what wings do, and they didn't like being outside at all the first time we tried it while it was 80F out. I'm just surprised by the diversity of the hatch this time around.

Biggest shock for me is finding out that ever peahen egg I stuffed into my tiny Brinsea is fertile and developing. I honestly wasn't expecting that or I wouldn't have put 7 eggs in. I'm both thrilled and worried: thrilled to find out that I could start selling peafowl eggs; worried that I'll have to try to find the money to buy a larger incubator if all 7 make it to lockdown. I've read that peafowl eggs are pretty difficult to incubate and hatch, so I'm leaning more towards "thrilled" right now. I'm still only hoping at least 2 make it to lockdown. I would really like to see what the chicks end up looking like and I think it would be a nice challenge now that I have officially resigned from my job. Something to keep me busy over the summer while I find a new job. :)

Uzi! Fantastic looking kids! That last one sure has a sweet face.

Congrats on the fertile pea fowl eggs! That should be fun!

I would offer condolences on the job BUT I know you are better without the harassment. So instead I will say Happy Hunting. I know you will find something way better.

I'm HOME!!!!!!!

Whew is it ever nice to be homeeeee!!!:ya
:wee

OK..... Someone stole the dancing bunny butt..... Sheesh gone for a week and someone stole the bunny....... It looks like they cleaned the house up nice though!

Thank you both. Last week was a roller coaster of emotions, that's for sure. I got my small business a tax license, so hopefully I'll make some sales while applying for a new job.

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

Got the 3 chickpeas outside on Saturday while the weather was nice. This is the second time they've been outside and they enjoyed it a lot more this time than the first go around. Mazikeen and the peahens were super interested in them in a curious, non-aggressive way. It was very adorable to watch. I've been leaning more towards Ronan being the father of the tiny black chick, but I think this one may be a never going to figure that out situation unless it's a male and develops the long tail. They are very rambunctious right now and just want to hop and run around like maniacs.

IMG_0968.JPG

The peahen eggs continue to make me grow more panicked as the days go by. I wasn't prepared for all 7 to be fertile when I put them into my tiny Brinsea, but I've been even less prepared for all 7 to continue to keep developing. I think I have 16 more days left in the hatch and if all 7 are still moving along at this rate, I'm going to have to find a bigger incubator for them to hatch out in. I'm hoping TS has a cheap one that can hold heat and humidity well enough for the hatching. However, there's still time for things to turn around and nothing could hatch. I have already decided that I'm naming my first round of hand raised peachicks after dragons and am going to try to train them to go into attack formation when I say "dracarys". :lol:

Quick Edit: My peahens are still laying eggs. I'd hate for them to go to waste, so if anyone here in CO is interested in hatching some peafowl I'm selling them. I've got 4 that are India Blue (male)/Spaulding Cameo Split Pied (female) and 4 that are India Blue (male)/Spaulding Purple Black Shoulder (female). $5 per egg, if anyone is interested before I put them on CL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom