Colorado

I don't know about where you guys are but here the face flies seem to have been really bad this summer. I've kept masks on my horses all day. Since I don't use fly bait, we put out fly predators and they seem to be having trouble keeping up this year. Unusual summer-higher humidity, more rain and more flies!!

I just received a message from McMurrey they are have a big juvenile bird sale. Looks like a bunch of exotic phesants, duck and swans if anyone is interested. I am not advanced enough to add their mail to this message but hopefully just going to McMurrey's site will list the birds up for sale. Not cheap I may ad. Buying a Sportman incubator next week, I can hardly wait for spring.

The flies in our backyard have been horrifying! I bought some fly trap jars at Big R, and have seen a dramatic decrease in our fly infestation. Love it!
Quote:

Hello everyone~
Due to my needing to be in Denver a lot to help my mom (who is 95!), I've decided to reduce my flock. My husband does his best when I am away to care for all my beauties, but I need to lighten his load! I can deliver to the Front Range this coming Monday, would prefer to place these girls in pairs if not larger groups, as they've spent their whole existence together. They are experienced free-rangers, but will require a good home with a secure coop. The Speckled Sussex are calm and people-oriented, the Jaerhons are active/alert (and excellent free-rangers and the breed is known for being good winter layers), the Barnvelder is Mrs. Toughguy, and the Favorelle is rather shy. The Ameraucana rooster is *soooo* beautiful and came from a very, very sky blue egg. He gets along well with the other roosters I have.

4 Speckled Sussex hens
4 Norwegian Jaerhon hens
1 Barnvelder hen
1 Salmon Favorelle hen
1 Black Ameraucana Rooster

Please PM me if you would like photos.

Rosemary

Quote:
Rosemary,
Please give my best regards and wishes to your Mom. I truly enjoyed meeting and talking with her that day. She is one hearty gal!!
~Gail

NO STRAW FOR YOU!!!

Apparently all the straw that used to be delivered to the Big R is now going to farmers in Texas
tongue.png
I can get pine shavings, but they don't go nearly as far and cost more. Anyone else not able to get straw now??

Quote:
Rosemary,

O my gosh. I just realized that you are Henri's owner. Hope he is doing well and his lady, too. You were so nice when I was enquiring about him. My best wishes for you and your mom.

Sadly, I am back looking for another roo, because the last one I had turned aggressive. Sure wish Henri was still up for grabs. Sigh. I'd be ok with the loud crows since my neighbors have all said they don't mind. Oh well. He'd have gone so well with my dog, Henry.
big_smile.png

Susan, Denver

Last edited:
There will be a huge shortage of both straw and hay this winter. Hay is already being shipped out of state because of the drought and fires. Your best bet is to buy what you can now and store it. As the year draws on the price will skyrocket.

Quote:
We've had an incredible, lush native grass hay season up here in the hinterland! So much so that, after our tractor pooped out, we couldn't find a local soul with a tractor to help us (that wasn't busy up to their eyeballs mowing everyone's fields even three cuts this summer). We ended up hand-scything our fields instead. Actually, my husband quite loves his scythe! We have decided we really like being peasant farmers...

Anyway, you might check Western Slope craigslist or call the Meeker Chamber~if you are willing to have a beautiful drive to haul some great hay!

Quote:
Rosemary,
Please give my best regards and wishes to your Mom. I truly enjoyed meeting and talking with her that day. She is one hearty gal!!
~Gail

Hey, Gail~I will pass along your wishes to her. I think she is pretty amazing! And fun~I hope I'm still enjoying life as much as she is at 95~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom