Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Lol...no. It's a dirt driveway right now. I was looking into having cement poured.
    Just one of the downsides of being out here with a big lot. Now I know why only a few of the neighbors have a real driveway.

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Well that was an odd phone call. They asked for someone who doesn't live here and tried to verify that we were at an address that I just realized doesn't exist. It was our street but the street numbers end before they get to the one they gave; exactly 10 higher that ours. They had the right surname, but that was it. And all supposedly to verify someone would be here to receive legal documents tomorrow. My first thought was a bill collector but I think they are required to identify themselves. :/. Just strange.

3. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    There is a scam going around where you'll get a call to verify and then they will send you a check or something that looks similar to a bank note. I can't remember exactly how it works but one of my dear friends have received 2 such suspicious packages in the mail over the past two weeks. One was a no crap scam from some Islamic defense organization and the other was made to look like a banknote.

4. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Bumblefoot- duck update- Day 2: I just rechanged her dressings so I wouldn't have to do it tonight when I get home. The little bumble that I took off this morning has now closed and there doesn't seem to be any swelling. The medium bumble came off relatively easily after about 3 minutes of plucking the black scab. I did not see a plug in there that I knew for sure was the plug so after making her keep that one foot in the Oxine, I packed with triple antibiotic, covered with a bandaid and recovered with another clean old sock kept up with the pony band. The absess is deep but not as bad as I've seen in some people.

On the other foot with the large bumble. I was also able to completely take off the black scab. It was much tougher getting to all of it after the first part came off. The wound itself is the size of a quarter and quite deep. I can see the hard white plug in there but am hesitant about working anything out that doesn't come out easily. There was some blood but not as oozing as I would have suspected. I repacked, put a bandaid on and a new sock. I put her back out in the coop.

I have stopped Prep. H creme as I was able to get the dead, scabby stuff off. I'm still mostly concerned about the Large bumble. It's so deep. I still can't believe I didn't notice it before it got so big.

But I did learn that an old athletic sock does make a decent duckie boot when needed to keep the feet clean. She isn't eating much right now but is drinking. I may grab her tonight, rechange her bandages, her socks and keep her in the house one more night. That abscess is still quite deep and at least if I put her in the bathtub, i can make sure she has food, stays warm and is so bored she's not tempted to move much.

decent help page for problems: http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/november/Cousquer/Avian-Wound-Management-Part-2.html

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  5. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    As Coloradogal says, this is some sort of scam and may be even more sinister. I would alert the neighbors, see if they have had similar calls, and agree to keep an eye on one anothers' homes, even if you are home, in case unknown people or vehicles start showing up. In the future do not verify anything, even surname, without getting a number you can call back. Look the number up online using a reverse lookup service. If there was a number displayed on your caller ID look it up. Call it and see if it gets you the same person who called you. Be careful and stay wary.

6. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Sounds like you are making good progress. I've never dealt with this so will continue following with interest in case it ever comes up. Thanks for keeping us posted :)

7. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    A viable alternative might be contacting some paving companies and asking about getting Millings - this is old blacktop that has been roto-milled off the surface of a road that can be spread on a dirt surface and rolled level. It will still cost some to get it rolled, but once done it's almost as good as a regular paving job, and usually far less expensive.

8. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    There was a time in my life this would have sounded like a great adventure! Not so much anymore. I've become an old fuddy duddy, and really don't much look forward to travel, especially overnight or longer. You are doing a very good deed by helping your family members stay connected and feel close, and it sounds like there aren't too many choices in how to accomplish that. Maybe along the way you will hear some new stories about their formative years, adventures they had that they didn't plan on, how they dealt with challenges throughout their lives - heck maybe even whether they ever had chickens or hits and misses in canning :) Whatever happens, I hope you have more fun than you expect and return home safely :)

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I will talk with the neighbors I can tomorrow. We have new neighbors on the right so I don't know their schedule, and the neighbor to the left moved out and their house is pending sale(moved for a job I think; they really underpriced their house for a fast sale). The house across the street from us just listed too. I feel like I missed a memo somewhere. So many houses for sale in the neighborhood; there are two more on the market just down the street. More than even during the biggest part of the crash. Kinda unnerving really, though at least the house across the street isn't vacant AND there is a state trooper living two houses down and across the street from us. He parks his cruiser in front of his house frequently. :D

On a separate yet related note- the neighbor I figured called the code enforcement people on us had their house listed for sale at the time and fixed up really nice outside. Well, I just found out that there house was foreclosed on, probably a month or two after we were reported. It's vacant now. Guess that explains why they were so uptight about what the neighbor yards looked like. :/ If they had just come over and asked us to tidy it a bit and explained some I probably would have straightened faster and not retaliated with an orange coop.

10. ojoscafes15

ojoscafes15 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    I have been looking at Loveland. My only concern is the school district, from what I have been able to research the Poudre school district is one of the best. So that is why we were looking in that area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by