Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I do have those days, especially when it comes to my chickens/geese.

My experience with bumblefoot is in chickens, so not everything may apply. The bigger ones can take a while to heal. So far I've had luck with all of the ones I've dealt with, most of them have been small. There is one girl who had some big bumbles and two weeks ago (more than a month after starting treatment) they were looking pretty good. I need to check her again and see if they're still doing well, probably at bedtime tomorrow. I'm definitely interested to hear how things go with the tricide-neo.

This is what I did, and it's kind of gross, so using the spoiler thing:

I'd give the foot a good soak/scrub. Spray it with vetericyn, then I'd get to the gross part. The scab had to come off, and lots of the online stuff says to cut into the foot with a scalpel. I wasn't really comfortable digging deep with sharp objects. Instead, I'd use cuticle scissors to get what I could see easily, making sure to get any dead skin (cuts off just like cuticles) and any hard pussy bit that I could. Then I'd spray with vetericyn again really good, and let it dry out a bit. Lots of neosporin and a small piece of gauze got wrapped over the wound and then the chicken was let go. Bowie had this done every second or third day for more than a month because the hard pussy thing was working it's way out. Could someone else have got it in one go, probably, but not me and I can't afford a vet. Bowie never had any issues with it, she continued to lay all through it and I think she really enjoyed the soaks. The other chickens only had to come in for this once or twice before they were improved enough to be done. Most of my chickens handled this really well. The ones who didn't were the skittish ones. There doesn't seem to be any pain in the whole procedure other than when you nick good skin. The good skin bleeds like crazy, but it does stop quickly.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    We try to limit coop shoes (this has ended up being all my shoes) to the area next to the doorways (all tile), and never walk on the carpet in them. That being said, on the weekends when we're working, we always seem to track poo/mud/dirt through the tiled area of the house and have to sweep and mop really good anyway. Thankfully we have no carpet in high traffic areas.

If I know I'm going to someone else's home (or stockshow, swap, etc) where there is poultry, I have one pair of shoes that never go to my coops that I'll wear to those places. If I'm not wearing them, I won't go anywhere near other peoples birds. I don't want my shoes to give them any ickies, and I don't want to bring home any of theirs. I won't wear them to drive either. I know my birds are at risk from the wild birds already, but I don't want to needlessly expose them to anything.

3. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i keep mine next to my back step, which is under our covered patio. That way they stay out of the elements for the most part and i don't drag anything in the house with me

4. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I've been busy for awhile and off. Congrats to Wendell and Coloradogal.

I will be on the road Thanksgiving day on my way to CA for a couple of weeks, so probably won't be online much. Once I get to San Diego, will then be on the road to northern CA taking my mom to see her only surviving sibling, and a couple of her sisters-in-law in Fresno. My mom doesn't drive any more than a couple of miles from her home, and never on the freeway.

She is terrified of airports (she's afraid she'll get lost), and my brother and she don't get along on long trips, so I'm the designated driver when she wants to take a trip. Let's see, a 17 hour drive to CA (which includes all of Thanksgiving and my birthday), 3 days at mom's house (and ya'll think it's bad when mom's visiting....try living in HER house again for awhile, LOL), 10 hours driving north in CA, 4 days at uncle's house with mom and uncle; 5 (?) hours back to Fresno, 2 days with elderly aunts and mom, 5 more hours with mom in car. 3 more days (or so) at Mom's house. 17 more hours back to CO.

Oh my, HOME SWEET HOME.

Have a great Thanksgiving, ya'll.

5. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Happy Birthday, Happy Thankgiving, and who is taking care of the hens?

6. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a brown egg layer hen that lays a pinkish egg until I wash it. Then its brown. sigh. I have hope though that when my other ee's get older, they will. Congrats on your pink egg layer.

I had a large bumble on one foot and two smaller bumbles on the other. I soaked her twice yesterday in the tub, once with a milk/epsom salt bath in the sink and again today. After each soak, I then resoaked just her feet for maybe 3 minutes each as she not too comfortable having her foot held down with activated oxide. I then did a mixture of prep. H (canadian brand) and triple antibiotic, gobbed it on and put a bandaid on to try to keep the medication in there. Last night she spent the night in the shower. Today, I was able to remove one of the small bumbles on her one foot and until the booties come in, used a mismatched childs sock held on her foot with a pony band so she could go outside. The other bumble on the one foot is much softer than it was so hope that I'll be able to get to it soon. That will only leave me the big one on her right foot.

Lesson learned. I must inspect feet and be proactive. The small bumble took less than a day of intense soaking, medication to get it off. I'm hopeful that tonight I'll start slowly working on getting some of the crud off the big bumble. I do not want to cut into the foot unless I have to.

The hard part of ducks is wrapping their feet. There webs really make it difficult.
    Thank you and have a wonderful holiday trip with your family. We'll still be here when you get back. Who do you have watching your flock while your gone?

7. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL.

My waterer now lasts just under a week. During the summer, every other day. And its a big one. Feed usage has really dropped from when they were growing fast. Now we fill the feeder once a week. We still give about 3-4 cups of scratch grains every day, oyster shell free choice.

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Any chance your driveway could just be resealed? They sell at stuff by the bucketful at Home Depot. It's not a long term solution but it may help keep it looking nice for another two years or so.

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Mine are left on the tile in front of the sliding door. I come in, the boots come off! The tile gets fairly dirty some days but its not hard to control. Especially since whatever gets kicked to the carpet is dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by