Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. TracieJS

TracieJS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO

2. TracieJS

TracieJS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I just went through this - thought my Ancona (Panda) was a roo. She started jumping on one of black australorps (lil sis). Chased her around trying to mount her. This went on for two, three days. Then Lil Sis layed an egg. Panda kept it up for another two days and then SHE layed her first egg. After that, everything went back to normal. They have both been laying regularly for the last three weeks. Now for my other two black australorps, Lil Sis's sisters, Ned to start laying. Are they laying? Maybe getting close....
    Tracie

3. Mommato5

Mommato5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    We got our first egg today!! It's tiny, but otherwise perfect. :)

[​IMG]

4. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Woo hoo!

5. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I agree with everyone else...way too low. Heck, a dozen eggs is $3 a dozen and he wants a life chick that will eventually give him 20 eggs a month.

Speaking of eggs... my pet peeve with eggs is my friends who give me empty egg cartons and tell me, "I saved 10 egg cartons for you, that should at least be worth 2 dozen eggs...'. First, I won't reuse those egg cartons and second, at least ask me.

Are your dom eggs pink in color until you wash the bloom off? I'm getting one or two pinkish eggs and can't figure out who is laying them.

Denarahhl, so sorry for your loss.

6. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a couple who lay a very light colored egg.

7. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

So how much feed does everyone use per chicken? I'm talking an adult pullet or hen. On other threads, I keep hearing about using 100# or more pellet or crumble feed per month for 15 birds. We are currently using (no growing adolescent birds) just over 50# per month for 18 birds. Add to that about 50# per month of scratch grains, but this is a high estimate. Thoughts? Are mine just food efficient or are others wasting food?

8. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Since starting the fermented feed I use about 35# a month for 12LF and 2silkies. And used 50# of scratch in two months, this was used in the FF and to help the flock learn to move further away from the run during free range time. I've been keeping track of the feed since starting the FF, because we were blowing through too much while they wasted the dry stuff. I'm hoping when spring comes, and all the bugs and plants are back, we'll use even less feed.

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Before we started hatching and such we went through about a 50# bag of layer crumbles every 3 months for three LF and two banties. My banties were master food wasters. Snowi is gone(sold her) but Summer remains and they both had a habit of scooping feed out of the dispenser, pecking once or twice at the little pile and then eating the rest of their meal from the feeder. I found a good quarter inch layer of food under the sawdust around the feeder when I cleaned last before selling Snowi. That averaged out to 3.3# per bird per month.

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Forgot to add, my girls get loads of table scraps and boss. I don't have any means to measure the weight of the potato skins, stale rolls, casserole portions or getting-too-ripe fruits. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by