Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. maggiemo

maggiemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Front Range Colorado
    I feed fermented food too. I do have a feeder with dry food available but it is almost never touched. I have just been writing down when I buy food but not weighing it out. There is always a little left before I buy more. Anyway, I have 4 POL pullets and 20 laying hens all dual purpose breeds. I have bought 40 pounds of food every 4 1/2 to 5 weeks. I have a bag of scratch that is almost gone that I bought 3 months ago.
    The fermented food is the way to go IMO.

2. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Like Ashley, I'm doing fermented feed as well. My mix is about 1/3 layer crumble and 2/3 mixed grains and seeds, the same mix I use for scratch, which is whole oats and wheat, cracked corn, BOSS, and wild bird seed. On October 6 I bought a 50 lb bag of crumble, oats, wheat, and corn, a 5 lb bag of BOSS, and had some seed left from filling bird feeders last year. I am feeding 7 LF hens. I have probably 3/4 of the bag of layer left, and more than half the rest of the ingredients, maybe 30-35 lbs of each. That probably means I've used about 85 lbs in 2 months, including scratch. I have noticed they've slowed down the last week or so in consumption, and the days they free range there's always food left at the end of the day, but I considered it used, as I empty the container and let it dry on the floor of the run, and they do consume the whole grains and seeds after that, but the layer is lost, I'm sure. I have to adjust how much I feed on their free-range days. Once I get the rations figured out, I imagine I'll be using no more than 40 lbs per month, possibly less.

I would say the logical conclusion is that your Doms are very thrifty!

3. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

We have another young cockerel available locally
    [​IMG]

. A rarer color, lemon blue. I hatched 3 M & 1F so some boys gotta go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also a couple young silkie cockerels listed on Denver Craigslist

4. suncatcher

suncatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    In front of my computer
    Judi, Are these SR or pullets? Did not say on the doc???

5. pichuris

pichuris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Strasburg Colorado
    I ferment my chickies food and go through 100# food every 10 days. I'm feeding 6 roosters, 41 hens and 19 pullets that are all in the same coop.
    My 23 meaties are eating 50# a week but are separate from the main flock.

6. AlivianAcres

AlivianAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Elizabeth Colorado
    Anyone care to share how they are fermenting? I just started doing it for my 6 pullets this week (way small scale!). Just some water and a splash of ACV....my hens and roo are SUPER interested when we feed it to the chicks...I want to start them on it....not sure how to go about it large scale....I have just been using an old yogurt container for the chicks.

7. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Same exact way you are now, just in a bigger bucket. I started small as well, and when I was able to handle a daily amount, I upped it to three to four day batch.
    Head over to the FF thread, lots of great info there. :D

8. AlivianAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Elizabeth Colorado
    ok...guess i will be scouring my garage for an actual bucket lol...there is a FF thread!!!????!?!?!!!! I am going to find that now :). Thank you!

9. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
  10. AlivianAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Elizabeth Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by