Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. suncatcher

suncatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    In front of my computer
    Ok, thanks!

2. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I hope to get bees next year but an a tad bit nervous to do it without having someone around the help answer my questions. Welcome to our group. I have one son and one little girl and live in Falcon, which is east of Colorado Springs. Next Spring, I'll have mutt chickens if you are interested. We have many on here who are working to preserve their prospective breed. I, myself, will no longer have pure chickens anymore as I want to have a healthy landrace flock. Right now, I'm breeding for pretty eggs and temperament.

My only full size roo is a black marans but my frizzle and silkie roos do try so very, very, very hard to get the deed done. As of yet, I haven't seen much success. :-( But they do sure try very, very hard.

If I can eat a chicken or turkey from the store, I know I can eat it from my own flock. We know how ours are raised and they have a good life. They are loved and have the ability to actually live like a turkey and chicken before. It isn't that way for most of those poor chicky souls in the store.

3. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Welcome Lees :) I guess you're no more nuts than we are - which may not be any comfort!

We thought about getting bees this past spring, but the more we read the more scared we were that we wouldn't be able to properly care for them. We have 42 acres, but the drought has had a pretty severe impact on what flowered. I plant a vegetable garden every year, but this past year the flea beetles and grasshoppers took out everything I planted seed for, my tomatoes survived but didn't do especially well, and the peppers did fine, but they love hot and dry as long as I water them in the evening. What has your experience been like?

You will find many friendly and helpful fellow CO chickeners here, and when things go horribly wrong, plenty of sympathy; when things go really well, lots of cheerleaders!

4. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    We finally got the chain link roof on our chain link run this weekend, and it was a job. The only injury occurred when we were on the very last task, tightening a nut on a bolt in a clamp - Bob surrendered a good bit of flesh to the edge of the metal roof on the coop. It bled pretty well, as noses do, but by this evening it is already beginning to grow new skin. I put triple ab and a bandaid on, changed this morning, changed again this evening, and for an old guy he stills heals pretty darned fast! We discovered that when you have 14 feet of 10 foot wide chain link, that is 9 gauge, it is very heavy and requires crossed support :) We had the two support poles across the width of the run, but once we got the fabric across, it sagged badly between the support poles, so I went to Lowe's and bought more poles and clamps and we installed cross supports which made a remarkable difference.

Also, two of the SS girls demonstrated their continued talent for flying to the top of a 6 foot run, and appeared downright proud to be up there LOL

SO glad to have the roof on. What a project this has been. We have learned a lot about how future coops and runs will be constructed. I might like the learning a bit more than Bob at the moment [​IMG]

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

I am on the north east side. I love the area overall. We have three grocery stores and a theater within a mile of us and three feed stores within 10 miles!

On another note, my new neighbors moved in. I haven't met them yet but they have kids and two large dogs. I am a little worried about the boxer. He is almost as tall as the fence! He spent this morning running back and forth along the fence barking, digging at the fence, peering through the knot holes and standing up against it as high as he could while I let the ladies out and let my son play. Only bright side is any critters are going to keep a distance. He is LOUD.

6. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    That is undeniable. Hoping DH comes around to understanding this connection soon. I think he is getting there, but it's going to be a bit longer. The realization of how the chicken we eat actually lives will ultimately sink in. I believe his connection with our girls will be the catalyst for changing his thinking.

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, who do you guys think will lay first; my 17 week old RIR/Buff Orphington cross ('Lil Red) or my 29 week old banty Cochin (Pidge)?

8. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    'Lil Red - but Pidge will go broody first :) Pure guess LOL

9. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all, been on the forum for a bit but just saw this CO thread, we live east of Colorado Springs. We started out with 5 chicks in August, now we somehow have 44 [​IMG].

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Welcome! Gotta love chicken math! :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by