Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Exactly, that's what I told my wife. In all reality though we may need to downsize a little, at least until we're able to expand the chicken housing here.

2. Minchi

Minchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    Welcome! Chicken math is great except when it is the chickens doing it. Like when you check on your girls in the coop and find one chicken, not three.... Scared the crap out of me.

I moved there bed yesterday afternoon to the location of the coop so they have an easier transition when it was done, they were in and out of it all day. We had some issue last night with Menchi dive bombing the door when it got dark but we showed them to the new location and they seamed okay. Also during the day I spotted a huge cat camping out next to the fence waiting for me to leave. When I got home from work today I went back to check on them and found Menchi on her own in the coop. After a frantic search that felt like it took hours, thinking I was going to find carcases, I find Zoe in the temp. nesting box and Arry sleeping on the food bin. [​IMG]

3. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Whew, what a relief, glad you found everyone safe and sound. Since we've started letting ours free range a bit during the day, I'm worried we might have some of that wrong sort of chicken math. So far they pretty much stay around their run and coop though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. pichuris

pichuris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Strasburg Colorado
    Lol I thought the same thing.
    [​IMG]

5. pichuris

pichuris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Strasburg Colorado
    [​IMG]

6. Minchi

Minchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    I worry all the time, need to get the camera installed so I can check on them when I am at work.

7. AlivianAcres

AlivianAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Elizabeth Colorado
    Moved our girls to a larger coop oh about 10 days ago. ...past 2 days they have been laying eggs in the bedding under to roost (which they don't use :/ they sleep in the door to the run) anyone have tricks to get these silly chickens to understand the new coop dynamics??? They WERE laying in the nesting boxes at least

8. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Welcome! Of all the breeds you have, is there one you prefer over the others, or do you find something to like about each one?

9. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Well, we moved ours into their larger coop a couple of weeks ago, and they laid in the next box immediately, so didn't have that problem, but they would not sleep on the roosts until I lowered them. I don't know if they felt they didn't have enough head clearance or what, but they are finally using them. Try putting golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes, maybe, and place them on the roosts to see if they have enough head room and can easily jump down from them. They will adjust eventually, once they teach you what they want :)

10. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the new folks. Been busy, and haven't been on in a couple of days.

We hope to have the nesting boxes finished on the breeder pen coop this week. We have been finalizing which pullets will go into the breeding pen in March. I think Abe will be able to handle 6 girls with good fertility rates.

The pullets are still laying at nearly 1 egg every 1.5 days

And I think they are getting tired of pumpkins..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by