Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I'm feeding 3 ducks and 44 hens with 5 roosters and do ff. I have been going through about 100# every 10 days. A third of these are still growing. I suspect in my flock, it is the ducks that eat the most. I think of the ducks more as pigs with wings.

2. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I thought that drunken angry cursing sailors was a pretty good description for my geese, but pigs with wings is pretty darn good too. :)

3. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Unless it specifies, it's straight run, in general. Tony Albritton and Duane Urch are straight run. I have only really found sexed pullets from the hatcheries so far.

4. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    As Ashley said, it is mainly a matter of going larger scale, and finding containers that work for you. I use a colander inside a large plastic bowl in my son's room (he's off at college), but a lot of people use a utility room or garage, all should work. The main problem most people have starting off with the two-bucket method seems to be that they don't drill holes large enough to get good drainage. When I have more birds I'll be moving up to a bucket method, so I'm still reading every day and paying attention to methods others are using. One person up in New Brunswick who has many, many more birds and a variety of them (not just chickens), uses a trash can. So far I'm pleased with the results.

5. pichuris

pichuris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Strasburg Colorado
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/1500#post_9727751
    On a small scale the collanders might work for you or even 1 gallon icecream buckets. I do not use ACV. It helps the fermenting along quicker but mine sits for a day in my basement and its already bubbling and smelling like ff.
    Love this thread but wow there are a lot of messages to get through. By the time you get to page 200 you should know everything. You can use this link too http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html
    Right you are!!!!! I forgot about the duck. She eats a coffee can size a day. LMAO pigs with wings. [​IMG]
    I have a chicken addiction and if I'm not careful I might have a couple trash cans. I've been thinking of this but will need to ponder more on how to do this. Thanks for reminding me of my options. [​IMG]

6. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I'd love to find a nice home for my 3 ducks...someplace with a real pond so they can eat the stuff around it. Maybe soon, I'll try to put something in where I'm at. If they could eat more weeds, etc. they'd be much happier and then rely less on the store bought stuff.

7. wickedlees

wickedlees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Centennial CO
    Hi Everyone! Just inro'ing my self. I'm Lisa (Lees to my friends). I live in Centennial/Aurora I have 4 Chika-Chika-bow-bows.... Sorry silly humor. 3 black Austrolopes, and 1 Americana, did have 2 one didn't make it [​IMG]. We got our girls when they were about 6 weeks old back in July. Sort of a bummer, we still haven't seen any eggs. I'm totally completely addicted to the chickens though! So much so, I'm going to fence off half my yard this spring for a big "run" Giving up precious real estate from my garden even! I've decided to add in a few Turkeys this spring. Anyone local have some to trade? I have a beehive and have added a second one for spring in a friend's garden, I'd be happy to trade out honey for a few chicks. I would also entertain tending a hive for you in your garden/yard if you would like to split the honey. As long as it's not a too far commute, although bees don't take up much time other than a few times a year.
    I'm hoping we can make a move to a bigger property this year, at least 2.5 acres. But for now, I'm still landlocked in the city. BOO....
    I have 6 kids, 4 of whom are grow, 2 serve in the military, 2 are off doing their young man thing and 2 are left in high school. I wish I'd become an urban farmer years ago, I think having the kids help with the chores is awesome!
    My family is laying bets on if I can even eat a Turkey that I raise, but I have firm resolve, and a hit man, so I won't have to do the deed, a barter arrangement on that I will raise them, he will slaughter. He's an avid hunter. I fish, that's about it. Well, that's me, I'd love to have some loval CO friends to chat with that don't think I'm a total nut job for having my own chickens and bees! :)
    Lees

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Welcome! And I think all us chicken people are a bit nuttsy so you should fit in just fine! :). Good luck on finding a new property.

9. wickedlees

wickedlees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Centennial CO
    [​IMG]Hi Chicken in the burbs! Happy to "meet you". Your house sounds like mine! I too have 3 spoiled spoiled cats, 2 spoiled dogs (a pug and Rot, sounds like a start of a good joke hu?) the bees, the chickens! I am retired, sold my business and now I stay home writing a book on wine and food. Where abouts in the springs are you? I'm not that familiar with the springs but it's pretty!

10. TracieJS

TracieJS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    We
    Welcome. I am a newby at this chicken thing but this group has been great helping me along the way. I too have 3 black australorps the same age as yours and 1 Ancona. I also have 4 EE but they are 6 weeks younger. I have one BA who started laying almost three weeks ago and the Ancona started about two weeks ago. They both lay just about every day. However the other two BA are starting to red up but no squatting yet. Supposedly hatched together and are the same size just slower to lay I guess. One is getting very chatty so maybe she's telling me she almost ready. My BA who is laying lays very pretty brownish pink eggs. The BA who is laying never bawks about it - my Ancona bawks until everyone in the area acknowledges her.
    Tracie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by