Colorado

Who's the poultry vet in Colorado Springs?  I'm tired of trying to non-evasively get rid of the bumblefoot in qwackette.   At this point, I'm not sure if she keeps getting bumble or I just haven't cleared it up enough from last year.  I would try the bumblefoot surgery but with ducks, the infected tissue looks very similar to bumble and don't want to kill her in my ignorance.

In the past when I had a chicken illness I couldn't handle I took my girl to Dublin Animal Hospital. One of the vets is also a backyard chickener. They are a bit pricy; I think an office visit was either $35 or $45 per animal. :/

Glad you're making progress with the new place. I think your hens miss you.....they think I am boring.
th.gif

They are still laying pretty good, a couple of days when it was really hot and smokey they didn't lay well, but overall they are all still happy and doing their chicken thing.
Lol well you don't play try to catch Zoe(fast little bugger) and I am sure they don't get left over prime rib at your place. Has Arry (SLW) been quiet for you at least?

I am sorry to hear you lost two more chicks, I hope the rest hatch okay. It is sad all the trouble people have been having lately with hatching.

DearBYCers
Here is an email I got today from my Take A Peak Chicken Coop Tour organizer. I am trying to tie these two internet worlds together. Let me know what you think. or you are welcome to email Maria directly back at her email address (below) 
Wendy

Dear Chicken Coop-ers,

I'm interested in starting a mobile meat processing unit for chickens. I keep hearing that there is a need for butchering services among backyard birders here in the Springs. In this one-time email, I would like to ask for your response to this possible niche opportunity. Please respond to the following questions to [email protected].

Are you interested in butchering services for your backyard birds?

Even though it's a mobile unit, would you be willing, initially, to travel to a convenient location for these service?

How far would you be willing to travel?

Up to 10 miles?

10 - 15 miles?

How much would you be willing to pay per bird for these services?

Up to $5?

More than $5 but less than $10?

Would you like to be on my email list to learn more about the mobile meat processing unit for chickens?

Thank you very much for your responses.

Regards,

Maria Plafcan

Sent her an email. Inspired by the demonstration Wendell gave at Chicken Fest I went and bought 6 Cornish Roasters. We are planning to do it all ourselves but if the service was inexpensive and simple enough it would be worth it. I will be warning the neighbors the night before so they can decided if they are keeping the kids inside or whatever.

In the past when I had a chicken illness I couldn't handle I took my girl to Dublin Animal Hospital. One of the vets is also a backyard chickener. They are a bit pricy; I think an office visit was either $35 or $45 per animal.
hmm.png

It's more than that now. The quote that I was given was almost $220. I have elected to forego the xray and save almost $50 off the total tab. The analytical part of me told me to just sell her for $25 to someone who wanted a nice peking duck dinner and save myself the added bill. I still couldn't do it though. I know, I know.... stupid when pekings ducks are raised for their meat. Still, I couldn't do it.

It's more than that now. The quote that I was given was almost $220. I have elected to forego the xray and save almost $50 off the total tab. The analytical part of me told me to just sell her for $25 to someone who wanted a nice peking duck dinner and save myself the added bill. I still couldn't do it though. I know, I know.... stupid when pekings ducks are raised for their meat. Still, I couldn't do it.

You know the analytical part of me said I could kill a chicken and serve it for dinner. Not happening in this life time.
hugs.gif

Third day in a row I can't even see the mountains from home. Either the girls have stopped laying or we need to go on a hunt in their free range area, which is about 2 acres full of places to stash an egg. Hopefully we will all be able to see the 'Super Moon' tonight.

Third day in a row I can't even see the mountains from home. Either the girls have stopped laying or we need to go on a hunt in their free range area, which is about 2 acres full of places to stash an egg. Hopefully we will all be able to see the 'Super Moon' tonight.

I am not counting on it. The last two evenings we have gone from watching a sometimes-visible sun setting looking bright red from the smoke, to the blackest nights ever. Smoke was very thick here last night. So far the birds don't seem to be suffering any ill effects.

I am not counting on it. The last two evenings we have gone from watching a sometimes-visible sun setting looking bright red from the smoke, to the blackest nights ever. Smoke was very thick here last night. So far the birds don't seem to be suffering any ill effects.
3 eggs when I went out to clean the barn
wee.gif
Considering there are 11 hens it's better than none. The guard puppy did the strangest thing. He found the eggs and dropped them off outside the garage door, without breaking them.

3 eggs when I went out to clean the barn
wee.gif
Considering there are 11 hens it's better than none. The guard puppy did the strangest thing. He found the eggs and dropped them off outside the garage door, without breaking them.

Wow, that is quite a feat! Congrats on the eggs :)

Back
Top Bottom