Colorado

Glad most of Colorado is getting blessed rain! YAY! Guess we may have his weather for a day or two.

This thread is either hopping or quiet, lots to catch up on. Welcome to the newbies, half the fun is deciding what breed of chicken you want to raise! So enjoy your journey, it is all good.

It is cold here today, I cheated and have the heater on!!!! OK, not really cold, but chilly with all the moisture outside.

Happy rain day!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
So yesterday morning I watched some interesting behavior from one of my hens. I posted about this on the Colorado Chickens FB page as well.

I noticed earlier that I still had some hens sitting in the nests, and I wanted to collect eggs before leaving for church. So I went into the hen house and sat down on the low roosts. # 12 was in the second nest box from the right, on one egg. The nest box on the far right, next to her, had two eggs in it. I didn't want to disturb her egg laying, so I left them there and just watched.

My nest boxes all have about a 2 inch gap on the back side, the side that is accessable through the nest box outside access door.

#12 was sitting there, and then she moved around, and noticed that there were two eggs in the adjoining nest. She stood up in the nest box, and reached around through the gap, hooked one of the eggs with her beak, and pulled it out of the nest, through the gap, and put it under herself. A minute or two later, she tried for the other one, but couldn't reach. She got up and went to the adjoining nest box, where there was now only one egg. I took the eggs from the one she had been in previously. She got back up and went to her former nest, and when she saw that there weren't any eggs there any more, she got up and left.

Chickens are so entertaining. Though I've shut down my breeding pens this year, and won't be hatching out more chicks, I wonder if she'll be a broody candidate for next year.....
I had this happen with my cochin two days before i went on vacation. She is now happily sitting on 8 eggs. Today is day seven for her on them. It looks like i will have a few more chicks this year.

That would be great! Thank you
1f604.png
let me know if they hatch and ill be happy to come and get them
Mychicks, if they hatch, will be cross breeds. Mutts, i f you will. But you will be welcome to them. I have 18 chickens at the moment and really cant support more at this time. Pm me and i can let you know the breeds that they are crossed with. All are heritage breeds covered by a white leghorn roo.

Mikey, my hands down favorite is the Easter Egger. Kids really love them too; green eggs, puffy cheaks and generally mellow & curious personalities. Of all the breeds I have owned my EEs have been the easiest to handle.

Hope you can decide what to get soon without getting stuck in the options. :) There are sooo many breeds out there.

We call that the Tom Sawyer effect... ROFL

Lol!!!!

Mikey, my hands down favorite is the Easter Egger. Kids really love them too; green eggs, puffy cheaks and generally mellow & curious personalities. Of all the breeds I have owned my EEs have been the easiest to have.

I love my two Easter Eggers. They are the prettiest in my flock (and the others are pretty nice looking).

Quote: I am glad to know that. Hey is it pronounce Mon-trose or Mont-rose? We read that the area has only6" preticapation a year. I would think most moisture would come from the mountains. I know it will be colder. I hope chickens are allowed. I love serama and turkeys. Hope to find rental home that will allow pets.

Forgot to mention we have the horses and alpaca! Now, we're ready for the tri-fecta!!
Mikey, sorry if this has been said already, but did you click on the 'Breeds' tab at the top of the screen? If I remember correctly there is a cold-hearty rating for the breeds. The weather is about the same here @ 7000 feet and there were no issues with any of my birds over the winter, and at this point I probably have 1 of every breed there is. Chicken math.
frow.gif
Welcome! P.S. They also lived in a barn last winter, which rarely gets below freezing. So on that note, you can pretty much disregard everything I just said, except for the welcome
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom