Colorado

Looks like we may have a day or two with diminished rain...We hope......

A frontage road that parallels the freeway byt the Ray Nixon Power plant is nearly gone where it runs through a creekbed which is usually dry.

Looking on the bright side of the wet, it has been warm, otherwise we would have had several feet of snow. The news guy this morning said they figure it would have been nearly 10 feet of snow in some areas.

Also, the ground is finally soaking up all this water. Years without water, and now 5 years worth in 3 months. WOW!

Hope everyone and their chickens are OK. Do we know of anyone North of Denver who hasn;t checked in?

The road out of my place this morning was a mess. Mud at least 6 inches thick in some spots. Puddles about 20 yards long in some places. Yesterday had more road deterioration near me, but all are still passable.

Add another 1.6" for a total of 16" and counting. Surprisingly, I've had very little damage. Driving around Boulder yesterday, things look good. There isn't the damage you see in other parts of the Front Range. There's green grass poking up everywhere and hopefully we'll get 6 weeks of decent weather and have some pasture regrowth. If you have winter squash in the garden, it was recommended to me to go ahead and cut them off the vine so they don't split and then spoil when things warm back up. I plant tons for the chickens and would hate to lose all that feed. My coop is flooded from roof runoff. The chickens have not missed a beat but the eggs are covered in mud. I've been changing their nest box bedding but it's a losing battle. Dogs love it though.

I am so ready to dry out.
We had lots of hard rain here, but no serious damage. We put in a road on Thursday and it was washed out by Sat. Rented a skid steer and fixed it on Sunday, washed out again by this morning.
I can't wait to see the sun!
Saturday, hubby and I did a huge chicken coop clean out. Bleached everything and winterized. Glad I got that done when the sun was shining!

Sunshine
celebrate.gif
I used to curse it but at least it's stopped raining.. I need to quit complaining. Sorry. The lake that used to be a pasture is still there. Poor horses. The chicks are doing fine, in fact they seem to enjoy it. the kitties have moved in, The puppy doesn't know what to think.

The creek is starting to subside. Only 3 large trees came down and i have a little erosion to take care of. Does anyone have a few dump truck loads of concrete they need to get rid of.
Has anyone heard from mountainmaggie in the past few days?

Sorry no dump truck here, but there is 2 pickups if you need help. On another note - the Broncos are gonna take the super bowl this year.
bow.gif

Last edited:
The creek is starting to subside. Only 3 large trees came down and i have a little erosion to take care of. Does anyone have a few dump truck loads of concrete they need to get rid of.
Has anyone heard from mountainmaggie in the past few days?
Me? We are fine thank you. Watching the helicopters buzz the hood all day on their various runs while we were out checking on the stability of the dams on our lakes. They seem to think we should all be in a panic. It is funny however, watching how different people are handling this and you can tell the keepers from the ones that will be outa here as soon as they can figure out how to move down below.
Well, I am off to split some more wood. Later guys.

Glad everyone is doing ok! We just had our 3rd rain storm pass through today, we only had three inches of rain since Friday, so no flooding here at the homestead. Not sure what the roads in the area are looking like though, as have not driven them yet!

Hope everyone in the flood area gets to go home soon!!! Seems we are going from one extreme to another, fires, then torrential rains!!! Stay safe everyone!

It is funny however, watching how different people are handling this and you can tell the keepers from the ones that will be outa here as soon as they can figure out how to move down below. 

Interesting observation. My cousins from up near Boulder was saying mearly the same thing. They said that they felt the major news organizations were trying to sensationalize much of what had happened.

Please don't misunderstand, that's not to take away from the losses of life and property, as that is tragic and serious.

but We here in Colorado are not the folks from the Gulf coast or back east. Or as we used to say while growing up.... "Life's rough in the Rockies. If you can't take it, you may want to move..."

We pick our selves up, dust our selves off, and go at it again as needed. We help out our neighbors. Fish from the front porch and BBQ on the burnt stump.

Hang in there guys! If our chickens can deal with it, so can we!
:lol:

Can you imagine the snow we would have accumulated?

Back
Top Bottom