Colorado

Good to know. This summer I'll try to fix the actual coop I was given. You could throw a cat thru all the illfitting doors of which there's 4!!!!! Plus the access door. You sit inside and you can read a book!
in the meantime we're using the storage coop as I showed you and I'll make further adjustments to it to make it less airy. Crazy to think of all the chicken s trying to live in one of those coops if someone didn't know to amend them!

'Throw a cat thru' -I am still laughing at this.
lau.gif
lau.gif

(I am a cat lover, just that the image tickled my funny bone)

Last edited:
I'm open to most bantam roos, but I dont think a Silkie would do good with my girls. They're already bossy, I need a really Dominant roo for this flock.

Hatch went relatively well for my first go. hatched 3 out of 20 eggs. 1 lethargic chick passed the first night, the other 2 look great!

Just set the second round. I think I have 18 set. I'm hoping for another 2 to 3 chicks minimum.

I have a couple of black mottled cochin cockerels, if you would be interested let me know and I can take pics of them and pm them to you. I'm not sure how dominant they would be. Cochins are pretty laid back.

Candled again today. We have 10 (out of 18) that we can tell are developing. We threw 3 more away today and 1 is an unknown because of the dark shell.

I'm assuming a really shaky inside is a bad sign.

I pulled the last five late eggs out of the test incubator and candled them. They showed no movement at all. 4 had a fully developed chick in them and they looked normal. One looked like it just quit about lockdown time. I ended up with a 64% hatch rate on my first batch of eggs.
I changed out the celcious thermostat controller and replaced it with the F one. This should keep the temp a bit more stable. The celcious controllers just are not a close enough tolerance, in my opinion.
I also drilled a hole in above the water tray so I can add water without opening the front. It is up and running, temp is stabilizing. I will let it go until tomorrow and see where the temp is at. I may put a small hole behind the fan assembly to provide more fresh air. First I want the temps to stabilize.

I pulled the last five late eggs out of the test incubator and candled them. They showed no movement at all. 4 had a fully developed chick in them and they looked normal. One looked like it just quit about lockdown time. I ended up with a 64% hatch rate on my first batch of eggs.
I changed out the celcious thermostat controller and replaced it with the F one. This should keep the temp a bit more stable. The celcious controllers just are not a close enough tolerance, in my opinion.
I also drilled a hole in above the water tray so I can add water without opening the front. It is up and running, temp is stabilizing. I will let it go until tomorrow and see where the temp is at. I may put a small hole behind the fan assembly to provide more fresh air. First I want the temps to stabilize.

Good thinking - the book I got recently, called The New Incubation Book, mentions the rising need for oxygen as the elevation increases.

Back
Top Bottom