Colorado

urbanfarmer101

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Good to know. This summer I'll try to fix the actual coop I was given. You could throw a cat thru all the illfitting doors of which there's 4!!!!! Plus the access door. You sit inside and you can read a book!
in the meantime we're using the storage coop as I showed you and I'll make further adjustments to it to make it less airy. Crazy to think of all the chicken s trying to live in one of those coops if someone didn't know to amend them!
'Throw a cat thru' -I am still laughing at this.

(I am a cat lover, just that the image tickled my funny bone)

Last edited:

megshenhut

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
Central Colorado
I'm open to most bantam roos, but I dont think a Silkie would do good with my girls. They're already bossy, I need a really Dominant roo for this flock.

Hatch went relatively well for my first go. hatched 3 out of 20 eggs. 1 lethargic chick passed the first night, the other 2 look great!

Just set the second round. I think I have 18 set. I'm hoping for another 2 to 3 chicks minimum.
I have a couple of black mottled cochin cockerels, if you would be interested let me know and I can take pics of them and pm them to you. I'm not sure how dominant they would be. Cochins are pretty laid back.

trsturself

Songster
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Elizabeth, CO
Candled again today. We have 10 (out of 18) that we can tell are developing. We threw 3 more away today and 1 is an unknown because of the dark shell.

I'm assuming a really shaky inside is a bad sign.

Pozees

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
Pueblo, CO
Wasn't someone here looking for Porcelain D'Uccles? I won't know until at least tomorrow but I may be getting a pair in the near future

samsr

Songster
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Fountain, Colorado
I pulled the last five late eggs out of the test incubator and candled them. They showed no movement at all. 4 had a fully developed chick in them and they looked normal. One looked like it just quit about lockdown time. I ended up with a 64% hatch rate on my first batch of eggs.
I changed out the celcious thermostat controller and replaced it with the F one. This should keep the temp a bit more stable. The celcious controllers just are not a close enough tolerance, in my opinion.
I also drilled a hole in above the water tray so I can add water without opening the front. It is up and running, temp is stabilizing. I will let it go until tomorrow and see where the temp is at. I may put a small hole behind the fan assembly to provide more fresh air. First I want the temps to stabilize.

Pozees

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
Pueblo, CO
I pulled the last five late eggs out of the test incubator and candled them. They showed no movement at all. 4 had a fully developed chick in them and they looked normal. One looked like it just quit about lockdown time. I ended up with a 64% hatch rate on my first batch of eggs.
I changed out the celcious thermostat controller and replaced it with the F one. This should keep the temp a bit more stable. The celcious controllers just are not a close enough tolerance, in my opinion.
I also drilled a hole in above the water tray so I can add water without opening the front. It is up and running, temp is stabilizing. I will let it go until tomorrow and see where the temp is at. I may put a small hole behind the fan assembly to provide more fresh air. First I want the temps to stabilize.
Good thinking - the book I got recently, called The New Incubation Book, mentions the rising need for oxygen as the elevation increases.

Top Bottom