Colorado

I had my kids candle the eggs in the incubator last night. I had gotten a much brighter led flashlight. they removed one goose egg that was not developing and 4 eggs from my green egg laying americauna. All of the eggs that I received from Wendle have made it till lockdown except the two clear ones from the first candling. The eggs are now on lockdown let the hatching commence!! I hope the low humidity while I was in the hospital didn't shrink wrap these little ones. My kids say there was a lot of movement when they candled, so I have high hopes for these.
I should go back to work tomorrow if nothing else goes wrong between now and then. Thank you for all the kind words while I was/am down and out for a couple days.

Did you guys see the post about the foil increasing broodiness? Interesting!

Last year on April 1 they announced a joint effort with Facebook..... Funny this was also announced on April fools day......[/QUOTE]
The mods spanked me for 'foiling' their April Fools joke. I just figured everybody knew it was a joke.
idunno.gif

Any suggestions on what to do with an 8 week old rooster? I am in the city limits and cannot have him, and he has started to crow in the mornings. I had suspicions early on and now I regret not doing something about it then, now he is too big to cull easily and I can't keep him till he is big enough to be worth eating. I have a nasty neighbor who has called accusing us of having a rooster before, I don't really want another visit from the animal control. What do you guys do?

I'm down by Springfield, but may be coming to Fowler one of these Saturdays. I would definitely take him if we could get it figured out.

Hey Colorado Peeps! I posted this on the Feeding Thread and meant to post it on the Colorado thread.....so here I am double posting. Hope OK!!!!!

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd share some info I found: I've been feeding my chickies a teaspoon (for 5 chickens) of virgin coconut oil (costco, huge container for $21...NUTIVA brand) every morning and wanted to find out the recommended amount since I've been flying by the seat of my pants on amount (still haven't found rec amount).

Found this research article on line...I was glad to read the oil didn't contribute to weight gain (who needs fat chickens with liver issues?) but did stimulate immunity and clotting times.

Maybe that's why the poor hen whose tail was pecked in spite of Peck No More and Sharpie pen blackening was clotting so quickly when the one after her would get a blood feather.

I'm happy to report that since Jan 31, she has feathered in her tail! In SPITE of the bad birds who peck her.

I added Feather Fixer (Nutrena) to their diet, too, incidentally. About 4 weeks agol.

Oil article: http://www.pcaarrd.dost.gov.ph/home...system-booster-for-chickens&catid=6&Itemid=20

I simply let them out of their coop into their run and I sit on the straw bale and just offer the spoon to the birds, making sure everyone gets an equal amount. They eat it right out of the spoon and when it hardens quickly in the cold weather, I just flick little bits to them and they gobble it up!

They eat the FORCO (probiotics (some say prebiotics)) this way, too, right out of the little container I put it in and offer to them every morning.

Back
Top Bottom