Colorado

Oh, and I forgot to mention the article I read about coconut oil use in cooking.

Coconut oil is the only oil that doesn't turn into an oxidant when heated. Olive, Peanut, Canola, (all vegetable oils actually), when heated, go rancid (hence the reason when you feed cooked fat to little dogs and cats they can get pancreatitis...their pancreases are just not suited to processing rancid oil). Which is why we've been advised to refrigerate our oils once opened.

But once you heat the refrigerated oils, bam! Rancidity. Oxidation.

So we've been cooking with coconut oil for years. It's mild so you don't get "coconut eggs or anything else flavored with it" when you saute with it. It's a little dicey to use when I make batters cuz it's very temperature sensitive and goes solid in lower temps, but I manage with room temp ingredients to start with.

Anyway. I thought it was good info when I read it and having seen 5 other people on a live aboard dive boat all get sick when they ate the eggs cooked in the oil I saw them pull from under the sink (and henced I avoided), I was a believer in what happens to oil when it's not cared for properly.

IF anyone wants that article, let me know and I'll try to dig it up! It's in my morass of emails somewhere.

Snowing corn snow intermittently up here in Pinewood. 3 to 5 more inches tonight.

I've stopped asking if it will ever end. Cuz I'm sure it won't. We'll go from this rotten fall and winter to some wet gloppy spring, I'm sure of it. This is the new norm.

Plus we're prisoners in Pinewood unless you want to wait an hour to get out at the road repairs in both directions! I'm so grateful they're fixing the road but I sure wish they'd give us a schedule on passing times. It's hit or miss. You're either an hour early everywhere or an hour late.

Enough Whining!

OH! And now I see the cat has brought a mouse in to entertain him and the greyhounds. oy!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the article I read about coconut oil use in cooking.

Coconut oil is the only oil that doesn't turn into an oxidant when heated. Olive, Peanut, Canola, (all vegetable oils actually), when heated, go rancid (hence the reason when you feed cooked fat to little dogs and cats they can get pancreatitis...their pancreases are just not suited to processing rancid oil). Which is why we've been advised to refrigerate our oils once opened.

But once you heat the refrigerated oils, bam! Rancidity. Oxidation.

So we've been cooking with coconut oil for years. It's mild so you don't get "coconut eggs or anything else flavored with it" when you saute with it. It's a little dicey to use when I make batters cuz it's very temperature sensitive and goes solid in lower temps, but I manage with room temp ingredients to start with.

Anyway. I thought it was good info when I read it and having seen 5 other people on a live aboard dive boat all get sick when they ate the eggs cooked in the oil I saw them pull from under the sink (and henced I avoided), I was a believer in what happens to oil when it's not cared for properly.

IF anyone wants that article, let me know and I'll try to dig it up! It's in my morass of emails somewhere.

Snowing corn snow intermittently up here in Pinewood. 3 to 5 more inches tonight.

I've stopped asking if it will ever end. Cuz I'm sure it won't. We'll go from this rotten fall and winter to some wet gloppy spring, I'm sure of it. This is the new norm.

Plus we're prisoners in Pinewood unless you want to wait an hour to get out at the road repairs in both directions! I'm so grateful they're fixing the road but I sure wish they'd give us a schedule on passing times. It's hit or miss. You're either an hour early everywhere or an hour late.

Enough Whining!

OH! And now I see the cat has brought a mouse in to entertain him and the greyhounds. oy!
Interesting info about the coco oil. I love it and use it a lot, but hadn't offered it to the girls yet. So sorry about your roads. I'm sure your confinement is MUCH, MUCH worse than ours. I'm in Georgetown and I'm so sick of construction! I agree, wish they'd let us know so we weren't also, an hour early or an hour late to everything in the city. I can only grocery shop so much. I'm debating not attending class tonight at Metro because I have to head down tomorrow and Friday and after yesterday...just so over it!

OK, enough whining for me too!

Guys!!!!! I got THREE eggs today! They LOVE the covered kitty litter box, too, cuz all the eggs were in there.

I haven't gotten 3 eggs in some weeks! 2 reliably recently.

Come on girls! I really want all 5 laying cuz then there's NO decisions to be made right now.

yippee!

It looks like the chickens enjoy that swing and it would be very easy to build instead of buying it. An 18 inch 1x1 a drill and some covered cable wiuld work nicely. Total price for mine would be free because i have all that stuff on hand. Instead of the 52 that they want for it. But then, i have told that i am cheap by more than one person. Lol

Back
Top Bottom