Colorado

The Cream Legbars are some of the latest to start laying..25 weeks if I remember correctly. I just remember thinking, it's never going to happen!

Last edited:
Lol I feel the same way with the 12 week old pullets we got the first week of june!

2 of my 9 layers are laying. The youngest is a 18 week rose comb leghorn. The rest, 19 week polish 19-20 week easter eggers, 3 4-6 month old ee's & a 14 month old ameracuna. Lay more eggs already!!

Soo excited for silkies! And cream legbar. And ayum cemani. Hmmm hope we can find meaties and bresse. Then just the french marans. Then I should be maybe done... meat, egg basket, ornamental.

#chickenmath

As a rule pullets begin laying between the ages of 20 and 26 weeks, but for every rule there are dozens of rulebreakers! Silkies can be right on time or really late. I've spoken to some people whose pullets didn't lay until they were almost a year old - but I've also known people with EEs who were that late, so it isn't restricted to Silkies at all. Of the breeds you list, Leghorns are most like to start early, Silkies most likely to start late, but you just can't predict with any certainty. This time of year pullets hatched in May through July sometimes hold off longer because of shortening days. Pullets hatched right now, though, may start early because as they pass 4 months of age the days will begin to lengthen, which should stimulate laying sooner.

I commend everyone raising your own meat chickens. Lord know I couldn't bring myself to kill one of the birds I raised, nor would I even know where to begin.

Thanks pozzees! Waiting for egg laying to start is getting me wound up!!

The silkies I just love holding them. Even my bf admits they're cute!

He's trying to reign me back on 40 meaties, but I'm expecting some losses if we get freak cold early snow in October like last year. But he agreed to at least 25-30.

The unused for 6 years raised garden bed beacons his name, and he was already talking to our friend last night about a freezer full of chickens I will raise in the freezer in time for winter. Pshaw.

Our crew is coming up from cos to begin on the pimptastic coop, carving something awesome on the remainder of the now fallen maple tree.

I saw a pic on pinterest with a trunk carved like a chicken foot with a coop put on top!!! So something awesomeness like that is the goal.

The pimp coop will be a month or 2 project. I suspect it will take time to get the baby chicks/soon to be hatched chicks hopefully to be big enough and feathered out to move outside to the pimp coop. The meatie coop/run will be pretty easy to put up and I'm going to stick my greyhounds inside the run to find weak spots, maybe snatch up a baby bunny from one of the zillion in my yard and stick it in the runs to find places of weakness while we continue mission racoon elimination.

One of our crew is a talented leather/woodcarving artist who is just beyond words talented and can bust out hard labor jobs fast with his son and my bf teaming up with me doing my share of heavy lifting.

Trsturself- let me know how many meaties are at big r in Elizabeth. I will check wardel's tomorrow while I'm there to pick up stuff for bedding, feed etc if they have any meaties too.

I will be taking picts of the progress and of the meaties progress too!!

The pimp coop will be a month or 2 project. I suspect it will take time to get the baby chicks/soon to be hatched chicks hopefully to be big enough and feathered out to move outside to the pimp coop. The meatie coop/run will be pretty easy to put up and I'm going to stick my greyhounds inside the run to find weak spots, maybe snatch up a baby bunny from one of the zillion in my yard and stick it in the runs to find places of weakness while we continue mission racoon elimination.

One of our crew is a talented leather/woodcarving artist who is just beyond words talented and can bust out hard labor jobs fast with his son and my bf teaming up with me doing my share of heavy lifting.

Trsturself- let me know how many meaties are at big r in Elizabeth. I will check wardel's tomorrow while I'm there to pick up stuff for bedding, feed etc if they have any meaties too.

I will be taking picts of the progress and of the meaties progress too!!
Sorry, I didn't make it out there. I planned to go when DH got home but I forgot it's his late night. He just walked through the door 20min ago. He said no to the meat birds until spring. We are going out to look at a horse tomorrow and if we buy that we have a ton of work to do to get the property ready for it so he doesn't want to tackle another project right now. :(

Trsturself- awww!! Dang it! My bf was all bragging on to our friend last night about me raising meat chickens ready for slaughter to fill freezer around Halloween. As it's 4 guys (one our adopted 23 year old son) in that house, they're looking forward to some chicken meat raised by me :)

I hope wardel's has meaties tomorrow. Either at the chicken swap or in the feed store. B/c I think it is too hot to be shipping meaties from a hatchery. Hmmm. We never get down by big r.

Murdoch's didn't have meaties. I want them ready to process by the time snow hits denver, which is typically Halloween, as I call it crop-tober. Means everything growing is harvested before the frost takes all my hard backbreaking labor. Idk how cold hearty cornish x is.

I would totally take some bresse chicks or hatching eggs to prep for the spring, as in the spring is when I was planning the slower growing bresse, and had decided cornish x was the direction I want to take atm, as rangers would put processing time dangerously onto peak freezing times, and I would hate to lose hard work due to cold snaps.

Back
Top Bottom