Colorado

I got this pic from my husband today. Our BCM (get her as a chick from pozees) finally laid her first egg. DH caught her still on it so I know it was her. Not as dark as it could be but I'm happy with it. Adds a new dimension to the skelter. :)

It has finally hapened. The little white tufted goose that i hatched about 10 or 11 months ago finally laid her first egg. Not a huge one but a respectable 170 gram nice white egg. is is roughly 3.5 times the size of my silkie americauna eggs. They weigh in at around 47 grams. I will probably wait till this weekend to crack it and find out if it is fertle.

Do your geese use water a lot? I'd love to have some, but after the ducks, I refuse to have another pond.

Geese do not need to swim like ducks do; they just need a bucket of water to wash their heads off in, but they sure do love to swim if given a kiddy pool once in awhile. Mine only got to swim in the non-hose freezing time of year.

Geese do not need to swim like ducks do; they just need a bucket of water to wash their heads off in, but they sure do love to swim if given a kiddy pool once in awhile.  Mine only got to swim in the non-hose freezing time of year. 

This is definately true. Mine do mate in the pool. They do like to swish the water around and take a bath in the pool too. They are definatly not as messy as ducks that i can see. I keep the pool out on a grassy/weedy part of the yard where the ground needs water anyway. When it is time to change the water. I just dump it out and move the pool. No muss,no fuss and very green grass. Pretty good watch dogs too.
My dauhhter made a cake this evening so we found out that the eggs are fertile. They would be roman tufted/toulouse crosses as my toulouseis not laying yet. Just the tufted at this point.
Any takers on a few goose eggs to hatch?

I was thinking white rock as well due to the shape and stance. Hmmm leghorn sure makes sense. I have one super friendly California white (it is a leghorn cross) and one that is beyond skittish.Top and bottom of the pecking order go figure.
You will know if she is leghorn if she lays you nice big white eggs. Her comb also looks too small for a leghorn. Never know until she lays and may not know then lol.
Nice work on the door. Double latches are a must IMO.
thumbsup.gif

Only thing I would caution on is without corner braces it may try and warp on you. In the pic I had posted you can see the triangles in the corners. It has kept my door from warping very nicely. Mine are just pieces of 2x4 cut on a 45 degree angle and screwed in with 3 inch screws. Pre drill if you do any since they like to split. I pre drilled with an 1/8 inch drill bit.

I wish I could have a rooster. I miss having one. I had the bantam cochin roo years and years ago. He was super sweet and the ladies just ignored him since they were all big gals. LOL on that.
I was on Cackles site and WOW what a looker the Spangled OEGB is.

Big Smiles eggs are a light peachy brown.

I used a Kreg Jig with special Kreg screws to put this together. I believe the door should remain true. It's an awesome tool. That makes construction a breeze. I will have to watch it to see if it holds up. If I see any change, I will throw those triangles in.

Got photo bombed by Athena this evening while waiting for Calypso to lay her egg. I can't believe I never had chickens growing up. They crack me up so much, even when they're roosters who are being total butts.

I wish I could raise some geese! I had to help CPW move flocks off golf courses one year & they were hilarious to watch interact with people. Before I had to take my pay cut, my dad was trying to get me to raise some geese (& pheasant & quail). Are they harder to care for than chickens, besides the imprinting deal?

Got photo bombed by Athena this evening while waiting for Calypso to lay her egg. I can't believe I never had chickens growing up. They crack me up so much, even when they're roosters who are being total butts.

I wish I could raise some geese! I had to help CPW move flocks off golf courses one year & they were hilarious to watch interact with people. Before I had to take my pay cut, my dad was trying to get me to raise some geese (& pheasant & quail). Are they harder to care for than chickens, besides the imprinting deal?
I dont find them harder to raise at all and they keep my grass miwed,to boot. I only had to mow twice last year. My three sleep in the same coop as the chickens. Or at least the run. I did make the geese their own sleeping structure, which they havent used. The chickens keep getting in there and kicking out all the hay that i put in there for nesting and bedding. I rather enjoy them following my family and i around. (Thats pretty sad coming from a hunter isnt it). Maybe im becoming a softie in my old age. Lol

Back
Top Bottom