Colorado

Sounds like the roo will have to figure it out quickly, how old is the roo? We had chicks integrate with their papa with no issues. The roo was just over a year and had by the alpha from day one had been with the hens from day one. Not sure that helps. We had our chicks I. Our covered run while they grew out, while the flock free ranged during the day. The chicks had their own coop to start, then around 6 weeks, when they were big enough to free range without being a chicken nugget for a predator, we let them mingle and blocked smaller coop. We had not issues like I said, need to allow the flock to have visuals on the babies at firs, just like integrating a new bird to the flock.
Thanks for the input! He's only 4 months, so I'm hoping that's most of the issue, and he will just naturally move to alpha as he fills out and matures. Depending on how things go I might have to adjust my plan with the chicks. i was planning on setting up the brooder in the coop, just section off a part of it, then setup a "safe zone" after a few weeks where the chicks can wander into the coop with the big hens if they'd like, but can escape back into the brooder through several chick sized openings. I'm hoping to integrate them as soon as possible...but I also don't want anyone getting too beat up... It's all a great experiment for me still, so any input is valued. I love hearing how others set up their coops/runs/pastures!

@ygritte: you can kiss a happy-hen-paradise goodbye with the addition of a rooster; laid-back Happy-day chicken TV will transform into a chicken coop soap opera, a stormy and intense adventure of never ending challenge and bitter-sweet resolution. Life without roosters is Soooooo less complicated.

To the point, however: I had two unplanned, surprise hatches last summer: one from my Silkies, and one from my barnyard mutt hen. They were already running all over the place before I noticed them and started worrying. The Silkie chicks, especially, were out of control (I thought) running around with the "big guys;" they'd get through the pen fencing running hither and thither, and the Mama Silkies could not get through the fence to be with them. One of the chicks disappeared one day, and I took the pen fencing down as a lost cause. These chicks co-habited with their sires - and a small group of BIG Light Sussex cockerels, as well. Not one of the adult males ever made a move to hurt the chicks, nor do they now, now that they are full grown. Meanwhile, the barnyard hen kept a tight rein on her chicks. She free ranged them and showed them all the ropes. She took them over to visit a large cockerel I'd isolated, to eat from his feed dish and get underfoot. You should have seen me hollering. But you know, they were perfectly safe with him. After their first or second juvenile molt, though, she kicked them out of the Dogloo and became their worst enemy. One of the Light Sussex cocks adopted the whole bunch as his own, and now has his wings full managing a flock of 8 independent hens and 3 Wannabe-papas cockerels. It's a happy ending, I think.

I am not recommending you keep Roos with your chicks. I'm just saying it might not be disastrous if they accidentally got loose with the males. I've read others say as much.

Oh yes, duck eggs are very tasty. The yolk are much bigger than a chicken yolk and they are very creamy. The are supposed to be very good for baking too. I'll be testing them out soon for that as March is a busy birthday month for my family.

My ducks get to 'free range' in my backyard and they usually go back to their run when it starts getting dark. Or they wait by the back door for me to heard them in. They always wait for me to put them in the raised coop. They aren't the greatest at using ramps. I know they want to go in but I have to coax them.

Interesting. Your ducks sound like some things to which I could easily grow accustomed.

@ygritte: you can kiss a happy-hen-paradise goodbye with the addition of a rooster; laid-back Happy-day chicken TV will transform into a chicken coop soap opera, a stormy and intense adventure of never ending challenge and bitter-sweet resolution. Life without roosters is Soooooo less complicated.

To the point, however: I had two unplanned, surprise hatches last summer: one from my Silkies, and one from my barnyard mutt hen. They were already running all over the place before I noticed them and started worrying. The Silkie chicks, especially, were out of control (I thought) running around with the "big guys;" they'd get through the pen fencing running hither and thither, and the Mama Silkies could not get through the fence to be with them. One of the chicks disappeared one day, and I took the pen fencing down as a lost cause. These chicks co-habited with their sires - and a small group of BIG Light Sussex cockerels, as well. Not one of the adult males ever made a move to hurt the chicks, nor do they now, now that they are full grown. Meanwhile, the barnyard hen kept a tight rein on her chicks. She free ranged them and showed them all the ropes. She took them over to visit a large cockerel I'd isolated, to eat from his feed dish and get underfoot. You should have seen me hollering. But you know, they were perfectly safe with him. After their first or second juvenile molt, though, she kicked them out of the Dogloo and became their worst enemy. One of the Light Sussex cocks adopted the whole bunch as his own, and now has his wings full managing a flock of 8 independent hens and 3 Wannabe-papas cockerels. It's a happy ending, I think.

I am not recommending you keep Roos with your chicks. I'm just saying it might not be disastrous if they accidentally got loose with the males. I've read others say as much.
Sounds like quite the adventure! Hmm, gives me a lot to think about. How many chickens do you have give or take? Do you keeps any other animals or just chickens?

I did use chain link for my run. That being said I am in the middle of town and do not have as many predators as the plains would have. If I were out in the sticks I would certainly still use the chain link as it has served us well. I would line it with another smaller wire such as hardware cloth if I had chicks or nasty predators looking to snatch a sleeping hen through the wire.

Lomine, Sorry if wrong person lol. If it was you looking to add a cayuga duck I think you would NOT be disappointed by the decision. They were the nicest ducks I had when I was out in the sticks. Mellow and good layers.
Ducks needing a boost into a coop means the coop should be at ground level. Or at least that is how I had mine when I had ducks. No ramp so they could just step in. Just a thought. Most of mine preferred to sleep in the run anyway no matter how I tried to convince them that the coop was a better place to be.

I totally adored my cayuga ducks and would recommend them to anyone keeping ducks. The drake was far less forceful with the hens then the pekin duck was.
I found them to be a quiet mellow breed that was lovely to look at.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to add a Cayuga one day. I think they are so pretty when all black and then the fact that they get more white as they get older it just so fun. But I want to space out when I get them so I have a range of ages in my flock. I'll probably keep all the ducks for their full lives so I don't want to end up with a bunch of old ladies not giving any eggs.
lol.png

I designed my coop to be raised to reduce the footprint in my backyard and give them a bigger run at the same time. It also gave them more run space that is covered. They would probably be safe if they slept in the run but the coop is even safer. They don't like going up the ramp but they don't really put up a fight when I put them to bed. Most nights they are actually standing at the bottom waiting. Though the day I found my first egg none of them wanted to go back in. I think it scared them.
lau.gif

Here is my coop and run. And one of my dogs, Cody.

Last edited:
ygritte, I have maybe 40 hens, mostly Light Sussex, but I'm hoping to develop the Speckled Sussex that I have. Then I have at least a dozen Silkie hens, some barnyard hens. I have maybe 2dozen Roos, from hatches that I grew out, not from insightful planning or desire. I DO like the Light Sussex as they are both handsome and quite charming.

I have other critters, will try for pics, again.
Abbie and Moses
Silkies
Appollo and Chicago
Stucco and Dolly
Bubba
Appollo

I have a thing that is supposed to be a Silkie Roo that looks like something out of Pet Semetary. The LS sleeping with Abbie is her shadow - and quite lame.

From the Animal House

I totally understand the raised coop for more space for them. With that height yup you will be boosting them up a lot. It is just something we accept and do without fail for the love of the silly birdies.
cool.png

I would totally have some cayuga here in town if hubby would just cave to it and let me. He is totally against ducks and geese as he did not have good experiences with them when he was a kid. (think small child and MEAN gander)

Baking with duck eggs will make you not want to bake with chicken eggs ever again. Fluffier and softer cakes is my experience.

coop410silkies, I want to pet that rooster. He looks like he is so mellow! Handsome rooster and being so relaxed right by the dog!

Oops, sorry for the double post, don't know how that happened. All those pics! Yikes.

21hens: that LS roo IS mellow. He is my constant shadow and when he is not sitting next to me, he huddles up next to the dog. Every morning he comes up from the basement, comes into my room and starts crowing in my ear to get me up - but not before 8 or so. (I'm deaf, so that works out OK). Then he just hunkers down and waits for me to get up. He is not unusual, though; all his sibling brothers are mellow. The roos with flocks are just so good and patient with their hens. The bachelor cocks like the dog and some like to hang out with her when she's outside. I don't know if all LS Roos are like this, but this strain I got from Papa's is just remarkable. The hens are quite docile, as well.

My bearded dragon was 15 years old this past Christmas and is approaching a record for years lived in captivity. I raised him from a hatchling, and he is quite tame despite his ferocious bearing. The box turtle is older and I've had him for almost as long. Bubba is a fierce Shitzu.

lomine, your coop and run set up make me want to covet.

Back
Top Bottom