Colorado

Well...let's keep hoping you get the 13 that went into lock-down.
fl.gif

I am pretty sure I will have a rooster (probably several) from the chicks I am getting from fowl stuff and you are more than welcome to any and all roosters I get from that batch. They will just end up to be dinner if I keep them.

Well...let's keep hoping you get the 13 that went into lock-down. :fl
I am pretty sure I will have a rooster (probably several)  from the chicks I am getting from fowl stuff and you are more than welcome to any and all roosters I get from that batch. They will just end up to be dinner if I keep them.

Thank Mo, figured there might be some extra Amerecauna roo's floating around this thread later. Might be interested in purchasing any Amerecauna pullets if anyone has extra's ;) hint hint.

pop.gif

You all have been busy and looks like some exciting stuff in the coming weeks for lots of folks on here.

I been working a lot not much else going on for me.

Love the little ducklings in the pics. Super cute and what a LOL at the sink.... I mean pool shot.

Snowing here and cold as all get out in Loveland. I am really really ready for spring to actually be here.

I hope everyone is feeling better that has been sick (That means you LS and Uzi).

Uzi I hope the toes are better on your hen. Did you get the damage to your set up fixed ok? How are they feeling after the flare up?

Thanks 21Hens. Ended up going to the VA ER Easter night/early Monday morning. Torn shoulder muscle and coughing so much I couldn't lie down/sleep. Doing much better today. Shoulder's mobile once again after 3 days of prednisone/icing it and sling off and on. And cough is pretty much under control with help from antibiotics. I hear it's going around and a lot of folk had or have it. I don't wish it on them.

Had a T-storm here briefly the other night early. Right now it's cold and sleeting.

LS, glad that you are feeling better. DS is wrestling this weekend and I have been doing my best to keep him healthy for sure.

How is the hatch going on your remaining eggs, COChix? I hope you get some chickies.

I am on day 9 and I think most of them are starting. There were a couple iffy and I left them for a bit more time, being dark eggs and all. I wasn't planning on setting eggs but a bobcat or two put that on the list of things to do. Anyway, hoping that I get some to hatch and replenish the numbers.
There was a bear spotted in Aspen....., I really hope this season is not like last year! That was unpleasant, to say the least.......

I am in Park County, at roughly 10,000 feet.

Does anyone have any experience with this high of altitude and raising chickens?

We will be purchasing chicks from a local store around April 11th. The choices available to us are Buff Rock, Speckled Sussex, Partridge Rock and White Orpington. Sounds to me the Buff, Partridge and Speckled are the "hardiest" however, I know the woman at the store said they only purchase very cold hardy birds, so I guess we can not go wrong.

We are pulling together materials for the coop and should be able to start building it in a week or two potentially postponing getting the chicks even though they wont be ready to be out there yet I have heard.

I have been around chickens, but never raised them from chicks. I also have only been around chickens at 5,000 feet or lower elevations, so I know there are probably special things to do up here.

Anyways, I ramble, but I appreciate any and all input here!

Thanks everyone!

welcome-byc.gif
jillybean! Smaller combs are better for roos. I have never had issues with my hens in the winter and I have had all of those breeds.
Have fun! Ventilation without drafts is the key for happy chickens and extra space for when they just can't get out because of the wind. I usually keep a flock block in the coop for the winter, but not summer, because of the bears. At least this coming week's weather is supposed to be nice for you.

Last edited:
Greetings @jillybean88 and welcome to BYC and the Colorado thread. Grats on your soon to be chicken endeavor! Don't really see why your chickens would have any problems way up there in cloud country
wink.png
Like Margie said, watch out for large combs as they tend to have the most issues with frost bite and freezing in the winter. And also the ventilation issue. If you go out to the coop when it's really cold and watch, you'd be amazed at the amount of moisture they add to their environment just from breathing, not to mention wet poop. Best to have ground level incoming air and high outgoing vent area to get that moisture out. Just don't want direct drafts on them when/where they're roosting. Good luck and share some pics of the littles when you get them!

LS, glad that you are feeling better.  DS is wrestling this weekend and I have been doing my best to keep him healthy for sure.

How is the hatch going on your remaining eggs, COChix?  I hope you get some chickies.

I am on day 9 and I think most of them are starting.  There were a couple iffy and I left them for a bit more time, being dark eggs and all.  I wasn't planning on setting eggs but a bobcat or two put that on the list of things to do.  Anyway, hoping that I get some to hatch and replenish the numbers. 
There was a bear spotted in Aspen....., I really hope this season is not like last year!  That was unpleasant, to say the least.......

Day 20 - all is quiet, no pips. Took all of yesterday to get the bator to the right range humidity wise. On the eggs, had veining on both of PC's RO eggs, her two olive Egger :idunno as can't see squat into them and veining from what I could tell on 2 of her Welsummers. 7 BBS all had veining and at day 18 candling I couldn't see much in those eggs either. So trying to stay busy which hasn't been much of an issue. Spring planning has begun, gardens, chickens, etc. Hoping for some baby chicks.

Aspen is my birth place born and raised :frow parents still live there. Seen a few bears at my parents house.

Good luck on your hatch.

I am in Park County, at roughly 10,000 feet.

Does anyone have any experience with this high of altitude and raising chickens?

We will be purchasing chicks from a local store around April 11th. The choices available to us are Buff Rock, Speckled Sussex, Partridge Rock and White Orpington. Sounds to me the Buff, Partridge and Speckled are the "hardiest" however, I know the woman at the store said they only purchase very cold hardy birds, so I guess we can not go wrong.

We are pulling together materials for the coop and should be able to start building it in a week or two potentially postponing getting the chicks even though they wont be ready to be out there yet I have heard.

I have been around chickens, but never raised them from chicks. I also have only been around chickens at 5,000 feet or lower elevations, so I know there are probably special things to do up here.

Anyways, I ramble, but I appreciate any and all input here!

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the board.

:welcome jillybean!   Smaller combs are better for roos.  I have never had issues with my hens in the winter and I have had all of those breeds.
Have fun!   Ventilation without drafts is the key for happy chickens and extra space for when they just can't get out because of the wind.  I usually keep a flock block in the coop for the winter, but not summer, because of the bears.   At least this coming week's weather is supposed to be nice for you.

How do EE do in higher altitudes? Ours are great in the cold and snow, we have two that don't care for the snow so much and the other two that don't seem to mind it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom