Colorado

Please, please, don't ever try hatching your own them. The anticipation practically kills you!
yippiechickie.gif

Oh I would LOVE to be able to let my Bitty hatch some! She would do so well at it. Sadly I cannot have a roo so fear of an all male hatch stops me.

Yes Bitty is a really good mom. I am hoping she is raising future broodies.

Margie you will have a good hatch I am sure! Of course we must SEE the babies. Lol we all know the drill! Get or hatch pictures are required!

Last edited:

Need some advice. Everytime my rooster mates with this red several of my ladies run over and peck her. Last week she had perfect feathers and this is what they have done in 5 days time. They only do this this when my roo mounts her and doesn't seem to care that the hens do this.
Any advice? Other then a peck or 2 from my head hen every now and again I see no other pecking.
Shes a production red, I have several, roo is a Cuckoo marans and all other ladies are a variety of breeds. All bird are roughly the same age, all girls are laying regularly, no broody girls.

Little EEs are 3 weeks now and developing some interesting wing feathers.

Today the weather and my schedule finally worked out for me to take them outside for the first time. They had a lot of fun and got to meet everyone.

I'm thinking about moving them and their heating pad outside this week. I think the night temps will be warm enough I won't have to worry about freezing water.

Necessity is certainly the mother of invention!

Came home to find one of my 2-1/2ish week old little RIR chicks roosting on the side of the little box we had them in.
Had been planning to get materials to build a bigger one over the weekend, but it couldn't wait at this point!!
Thank goodness for the pile of scrap wood I won't let my husband get rid of in the corner of my garage!
1f609.png

The girls in their old home...

Comfortably in their new mansion!
1f601.png
1f64c-1f3fb.png

Need some advice. Everytime my rooster mates with this red several of my ladies run over and peck her. Last week she had perfect feathers and this is what they have done in 5 days time. They only do this this when my roo mounts her and doesn't seem to care that the hens do this.
Any advice? Other then a peck or 2 from my head hen every now and again I see no other pecking.
Shes a production red, I have several, roo is a Cuckoo marans and all other ladies are a variety of breeds. All bird are roughly the same age, all girls are laying regularly, no broody girls.

Yeah, that happens. As long as they are not drawing blood, she will manage. You can try putting a hen saddle on her to help with the feather loss. Add more space or a separate space for the Roo to give the hens a break. Some roos are non-stop and they can breed their favorite hen to death. You just need to make a decision based on what you see going on.

Necessity is certainly the mother of invention!

Came home to find one of my 2-1/2ish week old little RIR chicks roosting on the side of the little box we had them in.
Had been planning to get materials to build a bigger one over the weekend, but it couldn't wait at this point!!
Thank goodness for the pile of scrap wood I won't let my husband get rid of in the corner of my garage!
1f609.png

The girls in their old home...

Comfortably in their new mansion!
1f601.png
1f64c-1f3fb.png

Nice new digs!

Sad news. I put the chicks out in the run today. Sectioned part of it off. It wasn't as secure as I thought. Got back from dinner with the family and the little grey chick was gone. The run door was opened so it could have gone anywhere. Didn't find any trace of it.

Back
Top Bottom