Colorado

I have a bit of bad news. A bobcat got into my enclosure and killed three hens. It took two of them. My lead hen and her prise six month old were two of the losses. One broody hen was also lost. I found my lead hen and some remains of the broody hen, but no sign of the price hen. I have one hen now, 11 months old, and lots of young ones.

The bobcat went thru the bird netting covering the enclosure. It did a lot of damage. Now I have to rebuild the enclosure. I also have a hawk problem. So I need to get this built to protect my chickens.
I'm sorry to hear that!

D71477B5-9DD9-48FD-867A-3BDD36EC1DFD.jpeg

1DD5F8A7-4291-4CF5-8756-6916BC90473E.jpeg

Officially at 10 roosters & at my capacity. I got to meet @MuffMom at the Adam’s County fairgrounds to pick up this tiny heartbreaker. His name is Handsome Bob (the Lady Killer) & the last member of the feathered Wild Bunch. Arya was pretty upset that he was already old enough to sleep outside & wouldn’t be brooded inside & Epiphany keeps trying to break into his section of the pen to mother him. Maybe in another month, he’ll be big enough that I’ll feel comfortable with the black chickens teaching him how to be a good rooster. For right now, he’s just a tiny guy & needs a little extra safe guarding measures put in place.

My mom seemed pissed that I brought two roosters home over two weeks, but that’s what happens when I tell my family I’m going to do something & they completely ignore me like they usually do. I don’t ask any of them for help unless it’s a last resort. I take care of them every day, along with my dogs, school work & day job work. I said I was creating a nonprofit poultry sanctuary. Family is very frustrating most of the time for me. I just want to be able to do one thing well so that my grandparents can be proud of me before they die. This is the one thing I feel like I can do well.

View attachment 1567398

View attachment 1567397

Officially at 10 roosters & at my capacity. I got to meet @MuffMom at the Adam’s County fairgrounds to pick up this tiny heartbreaker. His name is Handsome Bob (the Lady Killer) & the last member of the feathered Wild Bunch. Arya was pretty upset that he was already old enough to sleep outside & wouldn’t be brooded inside & Epiphany keeps trying to break into his section of the pen to mother him. Maybe in another month, he’ll be big enough that I’ll feel comfortable with the black chickens teaching him how to be a good rooster. For right now, he’s just a tiny guy & needs a little extra safe guarding measures put in place.

My mom seemed pissed that I brought two roosters home over two weeks, but that’s what happens when I tell my family I’m going to do something & they completely ignore me like they usually do. I don’t ask any of them for help unless it’s a last resort. I take care of them every day, along with my dogs, school work & day job work. I said I was creating a nonprofit poultry sanctuary. Family is very frustrating most of the time for me. I just want to be able to do one thing well so that my grandparents can be proud of me before they die. This is the one thing I feel like I can do well.
You sound like you have a wonderful heart! I commend you for taking in roosters. Keep up the awesome work! All my best to you ❤️

View attachment 1567398

View attachment 1567397

I take in animals at times of personal/emotional crisis. Caring for others helps me forget about my own problems and feel like I'm doing something good/important with my life. Last time I told my husband I was going to get a cat and asked if he'd care/be mad. I don't think he believed me either and acted totally shocked when he came home one day and I had a kitten set up in the spare bedroom. I was like, but I TOLD YOU I was going to get a cat... :confused::gig Eventually he was fine with it, once the cat made friends with the other critters in the house and killed a few rodents.

D14AE943-BC6A-42EC-8BB8-D49A5D927BC1.jpeg
If anyone has an interest in a silkie rooster, I have one my wife wants gone immediately. Would love to trade for a laying hen of any breed (prefer Rhode Island Red, Barred rock or Americana), but if not no biggie and you can have this rooster for free. Only 6 months old.

View attachment 1567398

View attachment 1567397

Lookin' Good! You and I have at least that in common. I do what I want and husband will get over it eventually. One year, my daughter and I took a picture of the emu and texted it to him with the caption "it could be worse." Not sure he found it funny, but we enjoyed the joke.

Howdy from the western front four corners area of the state. I’m a new flock owner and am learning everyday from this site.

Have a few roosters about 8 weeks I may need rehoming.

Any locals interested?

Lookin' Good! You and I have at least that in common. I do what I want and husband will get over it eventually. One year, my daughter and I took a picture of the emu and texted it to him with the caption "it could be worse." Not sure he found it funny, but we enjoyed the joke.

Yeah, my response was “I told you I was adopting 2 more. I wasn’t joking.” They’ll get over it!

He’s such a funn little guy! I was taking too long to put him up last night & when I came to get him, he had found a way out of his pen & disappeared on me! I was searching for a good 45mins in the dark when I heard him chirping back to my calling him: he was waiting for me at the back door of the house! :D

Thank you so much for him. I just love this little breed so much.
EE35FDED-D13A-4A34-9C8F-C1597CB85D24.jpeg

(he likes to tangle himself in my hair & fall asleep - I don’t know why he doesn’t let Epiphany sit on him, she’s dying to be his mom)

5E0154CD-16A6-4D49-8FC4-83BA90F95A94.jpeg
D7C6F885-4E64-425F-9E64-A152B1FD67F2.jpeg

Handsome Bob has figured out that if he crawls into my hoodie, I’ll zip it up & carry him around with me while doing the evening headcount so he doesn’t have to go to bed as soon as everyone else. I love him so much! I hope he & Sparta get along because this is my fav breed so far & I want about a billion of them following me around talking to me.

Well my enclosure is now finished and seems to be safe. I have some buff orpington roos will be 5 months old latter this month. Anyone looking for new roosters? I have some females younger and related. So I won't be breeding the roos.

Back
Top Bottom