Colorado

I have had a lot of losses with chicks, but I always have those that make it. I tend to spoil the survivors and it seems to make it a little better. I have also tried to not get attached to chicks in their first few weeks because they are so delicate. I hope all of the rest of yours make it and grow up big and strong.
hugs.gif

Quote:
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

It takes time, and experience, and knowing you have the others. How is everyone doing there today? It's always a bummer when a chick dies, can make you feel like you did something wrong. When we ordered from Sandhill last year, only 6 arrived alive out of a box of 28. CJ (my partner) was so upset, and totally unwilling to even think about ordering chicks through the mail again. However, they are sending us a replacement order this spring, so, we'll see how that goes. Good luck!

Oh, and in answer to your how do you dispose question, I usually burn our dead. This way I don't have to worry about vermin in the trash, and if there is any disease hopefully the fire takes care of it
smile.png

Quote:
Freezing at work, slow here, so "playing" on BYC!
big_smile.png

I am so glad that Elizabeth Country Corner was closed yesterday or I would have stopped there yesterday and bought MANY more chicks! Hopefully the 2 hour drive from here will keep me out of trouble! I already have PLENTY of chicks!

There are 39 chicks in the ginormous brooder! Always room for a few more! I am almost glad that the local feed store does not order chicks here until "after Easter"! Bad for business, but good for me!

Back
Top Bottom