Colorado

We lost our first hen the other day. I know it's crazy to cry over a chicken, but I can't help it. I thought you all would have some sympathy for me...and understand crying over a chicken.

We were down on the front range all day Wed...and came home to find one of our hens dead. She some how got her head stuck in the fence at the bottom of our run (we have an enclosed run for when we are gone all day - coyotes, bobcats, etc...many of you know the drill). She was already frozen when we got in.

My heart just breaks knowing she died suffering and for who knows how long. I'm guessing our dog, who was inside during the day, was going crazy knowing something was going on. She's taken on our chickens as "HERS"...but then she comes from old cattle working dog lines, so she loves watching over them and keeping coyotes at bay.

Thanks for letting me tell someone(s) who would understand...crying again and it's been two days!
hit.gif

We lost our first hen the other day. I know it's crazy to cry over a chicken, but I can't help it. I thought you all would have some sympathy for me...and understand crying over a chicken.

We were down on the front range all day Wed...and came home to find one of our hens dead. She some how got her head stuck in the fence at the bottom of our run (we have an enclosed run for when we are gone all day - coyotes, bobcats, etc...many of you know the drill). She was already frozen when we got in.

My heart just breaks knowing she died suffering and for who knows how long. I'm guessing our dog, who was inside during the day, was going crazy knowing something was going on. She's taken on our chickens as "HERS"...but then she comes from old cattle working dog lines, so she loves watching over them and keeping coyotes at bay.

Thanks for letting me tell someone(s) who would understand...crying again and it's been two days!
hit.gif

Awww I am so sorry to hear about your chicken. I would cry to if I lost one of mine. Your not being silly.
hugs.gif

So sorry about your gal. I think most of us feel your hurt because we've been there and have done our share of crying over our birds. They're family to some of us. You're not silly at all
hugs.gif

Quote:

Awww I am so sorry to hear about your chicken. I would cry to if I lost one of mine. Your not being silly.
hugs.gif
Some people who have done this a long time aren't much affected by the loss of a bird but on th either hand there are those who never take it easily. I'm someone who doesn't take it well. My sense of loss is different now where I understand these things happen and I don't take them personally, but I still do grieve the loss of a bird. So I agree you're not being silly. And here's to a happy and prosperous future for your flock!

It was a good turnout with about 400 birds I understand. Show birds were down in the basement floor and sale birds were on the top floor in the kids area. My silkies were on the end aisle, the one pullet received a 1st place and a Speckled Sussex I showed for grins also received a first. Pretty cool!
The white silkie breeder one of the folks mentioned is a nice lady...most participants are very helpful to new interest & breeders.
I'd say showing at Stock Show does require patience--parking and getting around the number of visitors can be a challenge.

It was a good turnout with about 400 birds I understand. Show birds were down in the basement floor and sale birds were on the top floor in the kids area. My silkies were on the end aisle, the one pullet received a 1st place and a Speckled Sussex I showed for grins also received a first. Pretty cool!
The white silkie breeder one of the folks mentioned is a nice lady...most participants are very helpful to new interest & breeders.
I'd say showing at Stock Show does require patience--parking and getting around the number of visitors can be a challenge.

clap.gif
clap.gif
Congratulations on your wins, Shy!

Parking is such a pain at the SS - I wish they'd just leave the facilities where they are, and focus on a couple of high-rise parking structures!

Back
Top Bottom