Colorado

Hey ossiander,
Thanks for all the good info. It would be helpful to visit them and see how your setup is really working. My hubby and I are around most weekends. My email address is [email protected] if you want to arrange something. We really appreciate the info. Is this your first year raising chickens in Colorado? What kinds of chickens did you choose?

I have 2 Easter Eggers, one white and black the other is brown, I got them from the feed store in Kiowa. The Easter Eggers for sale last year at Big R where selling out in less than half an hour. I got a Barred Rock and a Gold Laced Wyandotte at Big R in fountain. I wanted breeds that worked well in cold weather and if I was going to do this I thought that green eggs would be cool.

This is my first year raising chickens. My grandmother and sister have had them for a while, so I asked them lots of questions last year.

THis is my first year as well, chicken math has bit me hard. We were only going to have 10, it's up to 31. Doh!
hide.gif
Thankfully, the chicken coop is at a point where it can still be made bigger. I was just at the Elizabeth Country Corner to pick up my silkies yesterday and they had a TON of chicks. It was so hard to not come home with more than I did (went for 5, got 8).

So far it's going ok. We have one packing peanut from ideal that has decided to be a butthead to all the other males, so he has earned a name "a**hole", and a night (or more) in isolation. He's actually taking isolation rather well. It took a while but he's eating, drinking and now sleeping. I thought he was going to break is stupid neck trying to get out of the cage there for a while.

Hey all!

I'm in Centennial, Co and picking up my first chicks next week! I've ordered Barred Rocks, but may have to pick up an EE as well...or a BA... or sex link... uh oh!

Growing up in MI, we always had about 20 chickens (RIR's and EE's) I have missed having them and can't wait to have a few in our backyard! My hubby and I are making a cute little chicken "barn' coop, and having a lot of fun with it. Our neighbors will probably think we are crazy... but they probably already do, so its all good!

Seems like there are lots of folks from the Denver area on here, I'm picking up my chicks at Elizabeth Country Corner, and they are arriving the week of March 2nd. If anyone would like me to pick up some for them, and save you the hour-ish drive, I would be willing to do so! Then you could just pick them up at my house in Centennial. If you are interested, pm me :) Here's the list of whats arriving, (you do need to call and reserve them) chicks are $2.95-$3.60ish each depending on the breed

Week of March 2nd​
Chicks Arriving at Elizabeth Country Corner:​
Aracana/Americana Pullets
Black Australorps Pullets
Rhode Island Red Pullets
Buff Orphingtons Pullets
Black Sex Link Pullets
Barred Rock Pullets
California White Pullets
Silver Gray Dorking Pullets sold out
Top Hat Special s/r
Anconas Pullets
Porcelain Bantam s/r
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte s/r

welcome-byc.gif

Hey all!

I'm in Centennial, Co and picking up my first chicks next week! I've ordered Barred Rocks, but may have to pick up an EE as well...or a BA... or sex link... uh oh!

Growing up in MI, we always had about 20 chickens (RIR's and EE's) I have missed having them and can't wait to have a few in our backyard! My hubby and I are making a cute little chicken "barn' coop, and having a lot of fun with it. Our neighbors will probably think we are crazy... but they probably already do, so its all good!

Seems like there are lots of folks from the Denver area on here, I'm picking up my chicks at Elizabeth Country Corner, and they are arriving the week of March 2nd. If anyone would like me to pick up some for them, and save you the hour-ish drive, I would be willing to do so! Then you could just pick them up at my house in Centennial. If you are interested, pm me :) Here's the list of whats arriving, (you do need to call and reserve them) chicks are $2.95-$3.60ish each depending on the breed

Week of March 2nd​
Chicks Arriving at Elizabeth Country Corner:​
Aracana/Americana Pullets
Black Australorps Pullets
Rhode Island Red Pullets
Buff Orphingtons Pullets
Black Sex Link Pullets
Barred Rock Pullets
California White Pullets
Silver Gray Dorking Pullets sold out
Top Hat Special s/r
Anconas Pullets
Porcelain Bantam s/r
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte s/r

My baby chicks arrived today! I'm so excited!!!! They are all drinking and eating well.

Black Stars
Barred Rocks
Red Stars
Silver Laced Wyandottes
Rhode Island Reds
Speckled Sussex
Partridge Rocks
Araucanas

28 total - bringing us up to 50 gals! Yikes! I didn't add them up until now.

We are going to have them indoors for the first few weeks, I'm moving my hens to a larger coop then they will have the smaller run and coop until they are bigger.

The children are having a blast! Now, if only my camera didn't stop working two days ago...that's the only sad part.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions for egg eating, I''ll try a couple of these things.

Last edited:
For the BYCers in Boulder and north a bit, I would like to put a good word in for the guys at Hygiene Feed. They have chicks now as well. I have purchased chicks from them for three years and am very happy with the quality of the birds. Excellent for hatchery stock. They are very healthy and robust. Give them a call and see what they have - the chicks go fast.

For the BYCers in Boulder and north a bit, I would like to put a good word in for the guys at Hygiene Feed. They have chicks now as well. I have purchased chicks from them for three years and am very happy with the quality of the birds. Excellent for hatchery stock. They are very healthy and robust. Give them a call and see what they have - the chicks go fast.

Do you also get your feed from them? We've been driving into Longmont or Loveland because I didn't know much about them.

Hi everyone, Hope that you all survived the winter in fine form!! I'm looking for some marans. Does anyone have any chicks for sale or know of any?? I would love to get some locally(within the state). Thanks

Hi all! We just got our chicks this week. 5 of them in total. They will be a true backyard flock, as we're living in suburbia and need to keep our number small.

EE (though Murdoch's says she's an araucana)
Rhode Island Red
Pearl White Leghorn
Buff Orpington
White Rock

They're brooding in the hallway now. My kids love them, we all do.

Nice to meet y'all!

Back
Top Bottom