Colorado

The last of my lumber should show up tomorrow! Then the fence and chicken yard building starts in earnest. Too bad I'll be in Palm Springs for work all next week. (sad face) Nice weather forecast for the whole week and me out of town!

Only 10 weeks until my chicks show up, and hatching eggs coming soon after!

Those of you with your coops already established, is it worth it to insulate? I'm trying to convince my husband it'll just add to the humid stank build-up in the winter, but he read that leghorns are particularly susceptible to cold weather. Don't want Marilyn's comb getting frozen off. She's already cranky enough as it is since I had to clean up her pasty butt.

Side note: Chick pecks hurt.

Happy chickens lay more eggs than stressed chickens. Chickens that are using all their energy trying to stay warm don't have the energy to make an egg. So while chickens can survive harsh winter conditions, what you have to ask yourself is, how important are their eggs to you?

Although we do not use heat lamps in the chicken house, we did insulate the wall and ceiling. For the ceiling, we put up that blue foam board insulation, left 2" space between the boards for air flow. We did not use dry wall or particle board for the ceiling. Just the Foam board insulation. In the spring I can take the boards down to clean and adjust the spaces in the winter for air flow.
Have never had a problem with frost bite yet.

So we just got baby one from Colorado Agrifeed. Americaunas just came in this morning. They are not vaccinated..totally organic, brought him home. Its only 87 in there currently. I am going to see if it will warm up and if not see if i can boost the temp a little. He seems to be ok...a little sleepy but he was running around at the feed store. I got feed and supplies from Agri feed to. Am thinking I should get another one for company for this baby girl, tho the feed store guy said one would be ok alone. The rest of the chicks come in on the 14th and then the 19th. She sure is a beauty tho. Cant believe it! I'm a Chikn Mama!!!!! Woohoo!!

Went in to check and temp was 106..Yikes!! raised the bulb and checked on the chick. She is actually moving around, peeping, drank water, scratched, ate chick gravel and food and is now peeping up a storm! Still debating whether to get another chick or not. When I put my hand in the pen, she comes over to my hand and I pet her. She's a beautiful chick, very clear eyes. hee hee..I am just like a new mom...so proud...:)
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom