Colorado

Well, I tried to google it but of course I only came up with various acne descriptions and remedies. What exactly is blackhead. A plant, a disease? Since I can't google it, is there a more scientific / common name that you know of?

Well, I tried to google it but of course I only came up with various acne descriptions and remedies. What exactly is blackhead. A plant, a disease? Since I can't google it, is there a more scientific / common name that you know of?

LOL - You're not the only one that went scrambling to Google! But I searched "blackhead in poulty" and found it. It seems to be more prevelant in Turkeys. I've never heard of it, and the state vet that comes to do my NPIP testing has never mentioned it. But that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist here. It sounded like chickens can be carries, but exhibit no symptoms.

Dolly, I guess the fact that we had to google it speaks for itself. That being said, I regoogled as the above poster suggested and if I understood correctly, chickens are mainly carriers of the disease, turkeys are the ones mostly affected. Again, I just did some quick reading and may have missed something. I did also search for blackhead using the BYC search, and if you will do so, you will find many threads about it here, and I even found one started by a guy in Colorado back in 2010.

Hope this helps. I guess the good news is that I've never seen it spoken of in the Colorado thread. The bad news, if you are raising turkeys is that you might want to spend a little time in the section for other poultry, namely turkeys as ask there as they would have more experience, knowledge of it.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Hey guys, just a queston. My Sebbe girl layed her first egg last week
celebrate.gif
in the barn. But the last 4 days she has trucked her little butt out to a spot in the field that is sooooo unprotected, made a nest and layed an egg. I've recovered the eggs because I don't want her laying out there. But my dilemma is, do I let her lay them out there, cover them up, and then when I notice her actually sitting on them, pick the whole shebang up and put her in the barn in maybe a dog carrier...or do I do something now.. And also, is it even a given that she is planning on sitting since she is making a nest and covering the eggs up with grass, sticks, and what have you. Or do geese go through all of this even if they're not going to sit on them....

Well thank you everyone. I did a google search too but didnt really find anything just what it is etc. I just wasnt sure if colorado springs had a problem with blackhead. I wanted to add a few more ducks with turkeys and chickens. I have posted in the turkey forum and they told me to check if blackhead is a problem otherwise not to worry too much so long everything is kept clean and sanitary. I am going to assume it isnt a problem here..
big_smile.png

Well thank you everyone. I did a google search too but didnt really find anything just what it is etc. I just wasnt sure if colorado springs had a problem with blackhead. I wanted to add a few more ducks with turkeys and chickens. I have posted in the turkey forum and they told me to check if blackhead is a problem otherwise not to worry too much so long everything is kept clean and sanitary. I am going to assume it isnt a problem here..
big_smile.png

The absolute best thing to do would be to call the Colorado Poulty Health Board (up at CSU). Their phone is 970-297-4008.

Hey guys, just a queston. My Sebbe girl layed her first egg last week
celebrate.gif
in the barn. But the last 4 days she has trucked her little butt out to a spot in the field that is sooooo unprotected, made a nest and layed an egg. I've recovered the eggs because I don't want her laying out there. But my dilemma is, do I let her lay them out there, cover them up, and then when I notice her actually sitting on them, pick the whole shebang up and put her in the barn in maybe a dog carrier...or do I do something now.. And also, is it even a given that she is planning on sitting since she is making a nest and covering the eggs up with grass, sticks, and what have you. Or do geese go through all of this even if they're not going to sit on them....

Go to the goose forum. They have invaluable experience that I used all the time! I would think that unless you are going to keep her in, she has decided to nest there -period! It is hard to win an argument with a goose. So the next best thing is to make the area as secure as possible, maybe with some T-posts and some fencing and an A frame cover over the nest. She may not set if she doesn't see a proper clutch of eggs and if you try to move her when she sets, you may need a metal suit of armor. I think it just depends on the goose. Good luck and I hope it works out!

Oh, I forgot to ask, am I going to be a "Grandma"?

Last edited:
Today, we added three new girls to our flock. A Production Red (cross betwee RIR and NHR), a Buff Orpington and a Barred Rock. Here are the newbies.

I was a little concerned introducing them to the Ameraucanas since the A's are five days older, but the store owner at Colorado Agrifeed said they would be fine. I stuck around when I put them together to see how they would do. More in next post.

Back
Top Bottom