Colored egglayer mix, breed?

Welsh Ducky

Songster
Sep 6, 2016
NC Asheville
Picked two chicks out of a colored egg laying mix, hoping for them to be olive Eggers, but they look different from each other. 2 weeks old, what do you guys think? One is completely gray with darker gray scales on legs, and gray on comb and beak. The other Is gray with white spot on head and white strips on tail, wings, and back, with lighter gray scales on legs, and normal pink/yellow comb.
3B8812D7-A0AC-4381-964A-AAC229FFDC95.jpeg
922A1427-ADB7-4907-B677-24B6EEE04BEB.jpeg

Good luck! Hope you get the egg color you are hoping for! We have several EE from the same source...last years chicks lay different shades of green, this year’s chicks lay blue, olive, and seemingly grey eggs...so it’s a fun surprise when they start to lay.

Good luck! Hope you get the egg color you are hoping for! We have several EE from the same source...last years chicks lay different shades of green, this year’s chicks lay blue, olive, and seemingly grey eggs...so it’s a fun surprise when they start to lay.
Thanks! I have four chicks, two of which were the supposed olive Eggers, and two calico princesses. I’m returning one calico princess as it looks to be a boy, and picking out a different chick. Anything with fluffy cheeks is bound to have green or blue eggs, right?

Thanks! I have four chicks, two of which were the supposed olive Eggers, and two calico princesses. I’m returning one calico princess as it looks to be a boy, and picking out a different chick. Anything with fluffy cheeks is bound to have green or blue eggs, right?

Glad the store takes returns! Fluffy cheeks does not guarantee blue or green eggs. However, it can be an indicator that a blue egg layer was in its past genetic history as many blue egg layers have fluffy cheeks (such as Ameraucanas)...but egg color relies on more than one gene. In fact, an EE can lay brown or white eggs if their gene mix dictates that. EEs are mutts really, so that is why there are many colors and presence (or not) of muffs and beards.

Back
Top Bottom