Colored Rangers and % Protein Needed?

sovia

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Black Hills of SD
I have my first batch of colored rangers arriving in the next day or so. Joel at JM Hatchery recommended that I use a 21-22% protein starter for two to three weeks then switching to a 18-19% protein grower until week seven. Finish them with a 16-17% protein content. Here in SD, I don't have those options for feed. I am able to get Homestead FastGrow which has 20% protein. Can I just feed that for the entire time?

Last edited:
Well, you just answered my question for me - I was going to call JM today and ask that question, too. I have a terrible time finding 50 lb bags of the chick starter/grower my Rangers are using...twenty pound bags are too danged expensive... but I can always find the big bags of 24 % starter for turkeys, quail, pheasant, etc. and wanted to know if I should switch to that. So thanks for making that call for me!!

Mine are now on (and will stay on) the Dumor 20% starter/grower. Thanks, sovia, you saved me a phone call! Good luck with your Rangers.

Great! That's good to know. I just got a call from the post office letting me know the chicks had arrived. They were chirping up a storm in the background!
lol.png

Quote:
My post office called me 2 hrs before opening time and said I could pick up my chicks at the employees entrance if I wanted to get them before the PO opened . I could hear the noisy little buggers in the background and knew why the PO workers were suddenly so oblidging
lol.png

If you have scratch grain sold in your area you can lower protein levels and cheapen the price of your feed by blending it into the grower mix .

Quote:
I kept the phone message the PO left me the last time I got a box of chicks: "CHEEP CHEEP Hi Laura CHEEP CHEEP your chicks are in CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP come by the CHEEP back door any time CHEEP CHEEP"
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom