Colored Rangers Grow Out Journal/ Video Added pg 11

They are hardy little peeps, huh? Looking good... can't wait to see how they progress
smile.png

Looks like you got mostly Red Bros, Color yield, and Jaune chicks. Keep us posted on how them as they grow into great little meat birds!!!
big_smile.png

Cant wait to get mine this spring!!!
woot.gif

So far have only lost 5 in all. They all arrived in the box alive, but 3 dropped after about 2-3 hrs and the other 2 sometime last night. I think mostly from their long travels ?? If these would have been Cornish X's I would be looking at a lot more deaths especially when opened the box on arrival. I think I'm down to my order number of 100. Somebody lost count when putting them in the brooder
roll.png
so don't really now how many there was in the first place. I first counted or tried when they where in the box and I came up with 27 per hole times 4 holes = 108 chicks - 5 loses = 103 chicks left ????? When I pull their sheet out in the next couple of days I'll count all of them and put them in a box while I take out the sheet to get an official head count.

Looks like you got mostly Red Bros, Color yield, and Jaune chicks

I think I got mostly Red bros and a few Juanes maybe three or four color yields. I was really wanting the tricolors but got none of them.
sad.png
Oh well maybe next time. I think those would be pretty cool in the fair for the kid, definitely would get a lot of looks in the broiler section.
big_smile.png
Probably wouldn't win but she would be asked tons of questions, really test what she learned from raising them ??​

Quote:
With meat birds I tell the kids (and myself) "don't worry, we won't eat them while they're cute & fluffy". We can still enjoy them, caring for them, treating them with TLC, while keeping in mind their purpose in the world.

Please do keep us posted on everyone's progress, both your bird and human chicks. I wish your daughter success with her 4-H project. I think it's great for kids to have a realistic perspective on life, and the sacrifice other animals & humans make for our benefit. I think it makes them more grateful & appreciative for the blessings they are granted, and not as selfish & greedy, not feeling so entitled.

I hope to get my own order of CRB in Feb, trying to find others in SE Fla who would like to split an order of 100 so we can get the price down to $1 a chick.

Congrats on your new meat flock.

Here's a red bro at around 8 weeks. He is fine. My son hypnotized him
on the scale (seriously).

P1010065.jpg

If the gorgeous bro was 7.5 lb live weight at 8 weeks, what does that convert to as dressed weight? What about at 10 weeks? Live and dressed?

I've got my order in for Colored Rangers but won't see them for six more months (yay North!). I am just living vicariously and learning as much as I can in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom