Colored Rangers..processing results at 13 weeks.

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
I took 9 Colored Rangers to the processor this morning. They were 13 weeks old today and quite large. I fed them 24% grower up until a week ago, and then switched them to 16%. My processor told me that all of them were very tender to the knife...so I can't wait to have the first one for dinner. I originally had 10 of them...but I processed 1 myself a couple of weeks ago and it was VERY tasty. After getting them home, I weighed each one and here are their processed weights:
4# 7oz
5# 2oz
5# 3oz
5# 6oz
5# 7oz
5# 9oz
5# 12oz
6# 12oz
6# 15oz

Last edited:
guess you wont be going hungry this winter. they are very pretty birds.
why did you take these to the processor after you have done it yourself?

Quote:
The one I did was my very first one to process EVER...and it took me a while
barnie.gif
. I actually didn't mind it, but it's just not something I want to do again. I'd rather pay the $1.35 for someone else to do it...plus, they do it much faster.

ETA: It took me 1 hour to do just the one...it took my processor 1 hour to do the remaining 9!
lol.png

Last edited:
I think I am going to try those next, maybe even make some capons...

I use a processor too, for $2 a brd it is sooooo worth it in time alone, not to mention that no matter what I tell myself I always feel bad until the bird is naked and no longer looks like a real chicken

I felt kinda bad/sad this morning when I was loading them up
sad.png
(my DH has NOTHING to do with the chickens, so I have to do everything myself). And I was feeling major guilt on the drive to the processor...but thank goodness it's only 4 miles!
lau.gif

Avg 5.6lbs at 13 weeks, if my math is correct. Of course, 9 isn't a great sampling.
smile.png

I am trying to decide if I want to have mine processed at 11 and 12, or 12 and 13. I keep leaning toward 12 and 13, but I should actually make up my mind. I can only bring 75 to the processor at a time (my limitation, not his).

I processed mine a few at a times from 6 weeks to 12 weeks and still had an average weight of 5 pounds with the 12 week roos hitting 7.

They were hard to process or slaughter since they were such friendly fun birds. I need to stay out of these Ranger threads or I'll be ordering more.

This was around 9 weeks. Sorry about the processing job. The guy who does it for me is not all that bright(me).
P1010015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom