Colored Sebastopol Gander with swollen jaw

nonsuch

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Poy Sippi, WI
Yesterday I discovered my colored Sebbie gander "Danube" alone in one of the horse stalls. Usually he moves when I approach him, but he just laid there. Immediately I noticed that his lower jaw was very swollen. He appears to be able to open his mouth, but continues to stay away from the other geese. Today, his jaw has not improved and is very hot to the touch. I haven't found any cuts or punctures and wonder if he got his jaw caught or if he had a fight with another Gander? Any suggestions? Can I give him an anti inflammatory (aspirin or Tylenol)? Would anyone recommend antibiotics? I'll take a photo and try to post it here.

Any chance he got bit by a snake or spider?
The hotness makes me think it is infected. Geese can have baby aspirin. I have used about 24 crushed baby aspirin to a gallon of water, make sure that is all they have access to for a day and it will help a little with pain. This is what I did when a goose lost her leg to a raccoon.

Thanks everyone for your replies ...I'm in a state of shock, he died! After posting I decided to go ahead and start him on antibiotics. I spent some time looking through previous threads for which antibiotic and dosage. I found some Baytril injectable and took that outside with me. He was lying down with his head outstretched. He was salivating and his breathing was rapid and labored. I immediately took him into the house. I did give him the antibiotic, even though I knew it was too late. His body was like play dough, and he couldn't hold up his head. I'd already checked down his throat. He could open his mouth. I agree that it was most likely an infection. I also noticed areas on his bill that were slightly scraped and sore. I'm mistified what could have happened? From the time I saw the swelling until his death was just about 48 hours. We have not had a problem with predators (knock on wood) and the geese share a large fenced area with my mini horses. I did check him over again both before and after his death for signs of injury, blood, puncture wounds and there was nothing? I feel just terrible, poor "Danube".

Back
Top Bottom