COLORS. What do you get when...........

ChickenPotPie

Songster
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
California
My son has a Grey and Butterscotch Call duck pair. Mama hatched 6 chicks.
jumpy.gif
What colors could the ducklings be from this pair?

Last edited:
They are both call ducks, just different colors. I am going to say that since butterscotch is the same pattern and all but a possible dilute that you will get all gray babies that when mated together would produce 25% butterscotch and the rest gray.

If it is buff dilution there could be a sexlink effect.
If the drake is butterscotch then the female ducks would be diluted right away.

If the butterscotch has extra "silver appleyard" factor, which is dominant, then you should get butterscotch right away.

As far as I know the genotype of butterscotch is still unknown.

I assume grey = blue mallard ...

Apparently grey is just the wildtype mallard. Didn't know, sorry.

Butterscotch have at least one dose of blue dilution.
Crossed to grey you would get at least 50% blue mallard.

The other "diluter" in butterscotch looks like "light phase" which is recessive, so that would not be visible in the crosslings.

Thank you. I'm still getting to know the terms for poultry. I'm used to rabbit color genetics but, yes, grey is called blue in rabbits, too, at least one type of grey is.

Drake is grey, mom is butterscotch. Babies look very much all the same color with just the slightest difference in how dark or light they are. So, they may turn out all the same color or we may have a few dilutes in there. For me, it's so hard to tell at this point.

Thanks all for your help with the possibilities. Patience will confirm what we've got.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom