Columbian Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickndaddy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. corancher

corancher Songster

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Looked at my booklet and it only has information on Buff Columbian so no help there.

2. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    That could work- the only difference between Buff and Light/B&W Columian is the latter has Silver.

I do not recommend anything feather legged. There are several genes for leg feathering and they also have variable expression which means a bird with the gene can show anything from lots of visible to apparently no visible feathers however it does have it genetically.. certainly something that can be a problem for generations!

How about Columbian Rocks? Actually it is possible there is already Columbian in the Orp stock, would not be surprised if it was in Buff, as an modifier gene to help create the clean buff body(Co is pretty good at clearing up "off" color on the body). Perhaps crossing the different Orp colors can tease out a bird with visible Columbian pattern..

3. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I used a white Columbian Wyandotte roo over buff Orp hens and the offspring came out buff, with columbian markings, and straight combs....except for one rooster who had a Wyandotte comb.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:What variety of orpingtons do you have to work with? Can you obtain a light sussex?

Tim

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Songster

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Reverting back to a previous post, even the light brahmas will introduce leg feathering.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
  7. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Quote:I don't think so. That would be the blue gene involved in the Coronations.

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:From what I have read I dont think the blue gene is involved, but the self blue. So, I guess it is possible. Most people make the lavender orpingtons form either Ameraucanas or Old English game LF. A lavender Coronation would be beautiful on the Orpington.

9. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Songster

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    What variety of orpingtons do you have to work with? Can you obtain a light sussex?

Currently I don't have any birds at all. I just like to enable the people that do...lol And when I do get birds I like to be able to go back to things I've bookmarked or written down and be able to try some of these things out. [​IMG]

10. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Songster

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Those Coronation Sussex were gorgeous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: