Columbian Wyandott-possible cockereal?? (mentioned in another thread of mine)

hollytruitt

Chirping
Apr 16, 2023
This is a bully. (Yanking out feathers for no reason not even to eat them)
Columbian Wyandott 14 week old. No crowing yet. Just attacking random chickens to pull feathers out. Yanked almost all the feathers out of another chicken (one of her/his flock mate that came with this batch).

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 7
Here is another one that may be a rooster as well. Look at the top one in this picture.

Attachments

• 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 4
This is a bully. (Yanking out feathers for no reason not even to eat them)
Columbian Wyandott 14 week old
Cockerels have big red combs and wattles by about 8 weeks old.. I don't see any really. Wyandotte are good to show their make gender pretty young.

Saddle feathers would be showing by now.. starting at 10-12 weeks and flowing more by 16, examples from google..

1688914318760.png

1688914334454.png

It might be a bully. Pecking order is always a reason. And so is boredom.. looks like you might have plenty of space.. but some enrichment might help.

Worth noting some ladies will mount other ladies as a sign of dominance, full on mating with them (visually).. it's NOT acceptable to me.. If I want my ladies mounted regularly or getting feathers damaged, I'll get a rooster.

Some hens also crow, grow spurs, and sometimes when an ovary is damaged they can grow those pointy saddle feathers.. though the last statement is less likely than the first two which are kinda common.

I only see pullets in your pictures!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom