Columbian wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wyandotte boy, Aug 10, 2012.

1. flaming007

flaming007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    Ya they are from the Gardhouse line and also a guy from iowa im pretty sure.

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I wonder if the Guy in Iowa might be Herb Holtz. Gardhouse has some of the best Silv. Laced I have ever seen in my lifetime and I have been around for a while. You have some nice Fowl to work with.

3. gilavina

gilavina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska

Ah, yes Don, I think maybe you are right about the Herb Holtz. I've been doing some asking around with some poultry folks that make it to the shows over there more consistently than I can, and that's the name that keeps popping up. Looking forward to working a project together Ryan! Got any other breeds started over there besides the geese? Birds are such an addicting hobby!

4. flaming007

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    yup thats him!!! ya they are Gardhouse and Holtz breeding. My current prodjects are sebastopols africans and rouens. Thinking about pastel calls. Im getting some pastel rouens this spring also.

5. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    really? I'd like to see pastel rouens. Going with Zimmerman for the calls?

6. flaming007

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    Il take pics when they are big and feathered out. Im working with Dustin Wilson on the calls.

7. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    sounds good!

8. flaming007

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    Thankyou!! I really like the birds that I have. I bought a trio from Gardhouse this fall also.

9. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Well, got the first batch of Columbian LF Wyandotte eggs in the incubator, heading into day 3. Didn't get a lot, I think 6 or 7, but its a start. Will continue collecting and set another batch asap.

10. NanaKat

NanaKat True BYC Addict Premium Member

I've been hatching since Jan 22 and my CW pen has decided they need to moult so no eggs for the past week and a half.
    The pen looks like there was a feather pillow fight and one of the pillows busted.
    Eggs already collected will hatch this weekend and the following week.

There has been a huge percentage of pullets in the hatches...very few cockerels. I'm going to have to really scrutinize the boys before selecting for the line. My rooster Beau has no back-up and he is going on three this spring. Some of the hens are four years old. As long as fertility and chick vigor hold, I'll be able to continue to hatch and hope for a couple of good males.....

Vicki...sure hope you get a great hatch.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by