Columbine Eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jenn1983, Jan 12, 2016.

1. jenn1983

jenn1983 New Egg

Jan 12, 2016
    My columbine has been laying blue eggs all through the summer but we haven't had any eggs for about 2 month. Is it possible let that she could be laying a normal brown egg? I have 5 other hens who lay brown so I can't tell or is it a case that if a hen lays blue they can only lay blue. Thanks for any info...

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Anything is possible but more likely that the shortest days of the year have put her on an egg laying hiatus.

Increasing day length encourages laying. Decreasing day length is a signal to stop ovulating.

That is unless you reside in the southern hemisphere.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If your hen was laying blue eggs and you're not getting any blue eggs now either she has stopped laying for some reason (reduced winter light, molting, stress of some kind, etc.) or else she has started laying somewhere besides the nest boxes and the eggs are hidden. If you free range you might start looking around outside the coop for places she may be laying. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

4. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and :welcome
    We are glad you joined us!

X2 with ChickenCanoe. Chcikens tend to decrease their egg production during the end of the year.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    :welcome

Ct

7. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on Michael O'Shay's comments. If she was laying blue eggs, she won't suddenly lay brown eggs (the eggs may get slightly lighter or darker but not a completely different color). Molting and shorter daylight hours are very common influences on egg laying this time of year. The good news is, the days are slowly getting longer now so laying should pick up soon.

Thanks for joining us!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by