Columbine Eggs

jenn1983

Hatching
Jan 12, 2016
My columbine has been laying blue eggs all through the summer but we haven't had any eggs for about 2 month. Is it possible let that she could be laying a normal brown egg? I have 5 other hens who lay brown so I can't tell or is it a case that if a hen lays blue they can only lay blue. Thanks for any info...

Anything is possible but more likely that the shortest days of the year have put her on an egg laying hiatus.

Increasing day length encourages laying. Decreasing day length is a signal to stop ovulating.

That is unless you reside in the southern hemisphere.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If your hen was laying blue eggs and you're not getting any blue eggs now either she has stopped laying for some reason (reduced winter light, molting, stress of some kind, etc.) or else she has started laying somewhere besides the nest boxes and the eggs are hidden. If you free range you might start looking around outside the coop for places she may be laying. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hello and :welcome
We are glad you joined us!

X2 with ChickenCanoe. Chcikens tend to decrease their egg production during the end of the year.

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on Michael O'Shay's comments. If she was laying blue eggs, she won't suddenly lay brown eggs (the eggs may get slightly lighter or darker but not a completely different color). Molting and shorter daylight hours are very common influences on egg laying this time of year. The good news is, the days are slowly getting longer now so laying should pick up soon.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom