Comb and face gone pale

I don't know what the leg/foot color is supposed to be but the left foot looks OK. The right foot looks to have a couple raised scales that could be scaley leg mites.

I think the issue is twofold.

One is that we're in the midst of the shortest days of the year. That is detected by the bird's pineal gland and sends the signal to shut down production. That includes cessation of egg production and all other effects of the gonads. Shrinking and lightening of the comb and wattles.
Where I am, we have 9 hours and 33 minutes of light today. By solstice (Dec. 21) we are only going down to 9 hours, 28 minutes. So we're already in the dead of winter. This is when I would expect the least # of eggs.
You are at an even higher latitude than I. You had 7 hours, 58 minutes of daylight today and at solstice you'll only be a tad under 7 hours, 50 minutes before it starts to lengthen.

The other issue is nutrition that I gleaned from post #4 above.
Layer feed has the minimum nutrition needed for body maintenance and egg production. At about 16% protein, everything else you are giving is lowering that protein.
At 8-10% protein, scratch will lower their protein intake. The vegetables and lettuce have virtually no protein (about 1.5% protein). The rice may be 7-8% protein and the potatoes are about the same as the lettuce - 1-1.5%. Taken together, you may be feeding about 12% protein or less. I would expect health problems from that diet.
If you lose all the things other than feed and give a higher protein feed like starter or grower, I would expect most of your problems to improve. I bet you won't get any more lash eggs either.
First of all, most of your birds aren't layers, being an adult female chicken doesn't make them layers. Producing eggs makes them layers. When your protein and other nutritional needs are addressed and a bit after winter solstice, you'll probably be back in the egg business.
Should you have a couple birds still laying, you can provide some oyster shell in a separate container for them but switching the entire flock to starter or grower will do them wonders.
Virtually the only difference between non-layer feeds and layer feed is protein % and calcium %. Vitamin, mineral, and fat levels are pretty close. They will provide the protein sorely lacking in their current diet and about 1% calcium rather than the 4% calcium they don't need.

Would that cause anemia? I don't think I can get ivermectin over the counter in the UK (unless anyone in the UK tells me differently). Is there any alternative?

Wow, that is really informative. Thanks.

Never thought about that. I will look into increasing protein and trying to find a better feed and balance.

Back
Top Bottom