Comb and waddle changing...

breezy's girls

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 13, 2010
My one year old NHR, that was laying, and who i suspect has been laying some very weird eggs recently...her comb and waddle have diminished in size and the color is not as red as it was a week ago. Does this mean that she has stopped laying??

Well...in general, pale combs/wattles means illness of some kind. My girls combs and wattles turned pale and seemed smaller while they were molting this past winter. What else can you tell us? You're pretty sure she's not going into a molt? What specifically has been going on with her eggs? Have you checked her over closely for parasites?

When they go through a seasonal change and stop laying, their comb and wattles become paler and look pink. This can be because they've gone broody, the winter days are too short or they're molting. When they get ready to start laying again, their comb and wattles redden up again. Sudden color changes can also indicate illness, but I've never seen that in mine.

It could be that her reproductive system was throwing some odd eggs because her hormone levels were starting to fluctuate. How is she acting? Normal? Sick? Broody? Does she look like she's starting a molt? This time of year for one of mine, it would mean she was going broody. I don't know about yours, though.

OK...well she didnt do a full molt, she did lose scattered feathers for a week but that has stopped. The egg shells were either multi-colored, multi-textured, huge, or tiny (like the size of a peanut). I've also found a yolk, whites, and a thin broken skin as if the shell never really developed but dont know if it was from this same hen. I have not checked for parasites, will do that as soon as i get home. She is not acting differently, eats and drinks just as she always has...she's the same old girl. This is my first flock and everything has been perfect. This was the first real 'glitch' I've come across and dont know whether to be concerned. I'll check for parasites, and go from there. Thank you for your advice.

I also have a question about comb color. I noticed this last night with my hens some are 8 months old WBT mix one older WBT mix. She is I believe much older I got her a year ago. Her comb and wattles are much redder than the other ones. All are broody, but the 8 month olds have been setting for the hole 19 days. When Penny( the older hen) decides she wants babies again so she starts setting about 4 days ago. Could this have something to do with the color or is it because of the age?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom