Comb and wattles -- signifies about to lay?

Quote:
I bought a run of BO pullets only so I cannot comment on comparison BUT I would suspect that as they get older you will be even more sure about which are roo's.

I can see no benifit to seperate them till cull time.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike555444,
I was hoping I wouldn't have to seperate. I was just concerned that the pullets combs and wattles were going to get bigger and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. People are already teasing that I won't be able to put the roos in the freezer. I keep telling them I'll be able to, but if I can't tell the difference...
wink.png

I wa away for a week, and was startled to see how red their combs and wattles were when I got back. I assumed that was a sign of maturity.
Got 5 eggs yesterday. They also keep going into their nests, scratching and turning, acting as if they are going to lay, but nothing.
I spent hours in their yesterday trying to see an egg get laid. Talk about chicken TV !

This is all too funny. All along I was thinking something was wrong with one of my 9 girls. I checked her for mites today and it must have upset her because her wattle and comb got very pale. I am having a problem because I lost one of my girls for no apparent reason. Hubby got rid of the body before I could inspect it. Has anyone used permethrin before? What about all that pesticide with your chickens and eggs???

my one girl has had a bright red comb and wattle now for two weeks and has been squatting for nearly one (that I noticed) and stillllll no egg from her! What a free loader! I'm anxious for her to lay bc my DH says he will like them more once they lay lol... darn them. The other 4 are still slacking big time...not even red yet. And leghorns were supposed to be advanced layers...pshaw!

we have a 2 year old EE (we got her in Sept, )she was laying an egg a day. when our (this spring) other 3 hens began to lay she quit and began to molt. I noticed that her comb became pale and her wattle has receded. after the molt will her comb get redder and her wattle reappear?

Back
Top Bottom